Important Information and Instructions

1. To receive externship credits, you must register separately for an externship seminar (LAW-769) and externship fieldwork credit. Before registering for your field placement credit, you must first register for a LAW-769 externship seminar on, as you would any other WCL class. If you are a first time extern, register for either the three credit graded seminar (offered every semester), or the one credit small group supervision seminar (offered in the summer only).

2. Second/Repeat Externs: Students who have already participated in a three credit externship seminar may not enroll in a second three credit seminar. A one credit advanced supervision seminar (fall/spring) or one credit small group supervision seminar (summer) is required for those students. Exceptions may be made for students participating in a long distance externship. Students may not receive credit for externing at the same placement unless they have received prior approval from the Externship Office.

3. Students may extern outside of the Washington, D.C. area during the summer semester. Students participating in a long distance externship must enroll in the long distance externship seminar.

4. To Register for externship fieldwork credit: After registering for an externship seminar (LAW-769) on, you will submit your registration information by clicking the "Submit Application for your Fieldwork Registration" (below) . The online approval process permits you to enter information about your externship, sign the student externship contract, and submit the contract to be signed by your employer. After the Externship Program has approved your placement, your supervising attorney will be sent a contract to "e-sign." After the employer contract is signed, an add/drop form with the LAW-899 field credits will be emailed to you. Bring the add/drop form to the Externship Office to be signed and deliver the signed form to the Registrar's Office in suite 304.

Important: The only way to register for the Fieldwork credit (LAW-899) is to submit the fieldwork application; Your registration for the fieldwork credit will not be complete until you have submitted the signed add/drop to the Registrar's Office (in person).

All contracts must be signed and registration for fieldwork credit must be completed by the end of the add/drop period. If you have not been able to obtain the requisite signatures, please contact the Externship Office.


Submit Application for your Fieldwork Registration