For Adult Survivors
AN END TO SILENCE: Inmates’ Handbook on Identifying and Addressing Sexual Abuse 3rd Edition
By: Brenda V. Smith and Jaime M. Yarussi
This handbook provides information on the following subjects:
- The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA) and the National PREA Standards.
- Sexual abuse in custody by staff and other inmates.
- Dynamics of sexual abuse in custody.
- Reporting and factors affecting inmates’ decisions to report.
- Medical and mental health needs of inmates who are victims of sexual abuse.
- Inmates’ rights under the Prison Rape Elimination Act and the National PREA Standards.
- Resources for seeking help or interventions after incidents of sexual abuse or harassment.
An End to Silence: Prisoner's Handbook on Identifying and Addressing Sexual Misconduct 2nd Edition
By: Brenda V. Smith, The Washington College of Law
This edition of An End to Silence updates information from the previous handbook and includes new information for male offenders who are victims of staff sexual misconduct.
This updated handbook does the following:
(1) Identifies how to recognize staff sexual misconduct
(2) Defines physical, emotional and institutional consequences
(3) Identifies actions victims can take-- informally, formally,administratively and legally
(4) Provides resources
"An End to Silence: Women Prisoner's Handbook on Identifying and Addressing Sexual Misconduct" 1st Edition
By: Brenda V. Smith, The National Women's Law Center
Staff sexual misconduct hurts all offenders and all staff. When sexual misconduct goes unaddressed both offenders and staff become more vulnerable to unwelcome sexual advances. Misconduct also hurts the correctional environment by blurring the boundaries between conduct that is acceptable and conduct that is unacceptable. This handbook is for women prisoners and focuses on identifying and addressing staff sexual misocnduct in correctional facilities and outlines how offenders and otehr staff can respond to sexual abuse in their correctional environment.