Dean's Diversity Council
The Dean's Diversity Council (DDC) made up of judges, alumni, faculty, lawyers, and friends of the law school, was founded in the fall of 2001. Council members assist in ensuring that students from underrepresented and disadvantaged communities apply to and succeed in law school, at the bar exam, and in the legal profession.
Members often volunteer for activities such as mentoring, participation in law school programs, pre-law advisement, and job-search counseling. Their annual fall gathering includes a program on a timely topic and career-oriented session where members engage directly with students.
Diversity Services and the council also inaugurated the DDC Speaker Series, which brings members into the law school to speak on topics of their choice.
- Michael Barbosa, Esq.’99 - New York
- The Honorable DeLawrence Beard, (Ret.), 6th Judicial Circuit of Maryland - Rockville, Maryland
- The Honorable Robert M. Bell, (Ret.), Chief Judge, Court of Appeals of Maryland - Annapolis, Maryland
- Midwin Charles, Esq.’99, Midwin Charles & Associates LLC - New York, NY
- Jill Cummins, Esq.’87, Allstate - Baltimore, Maryland
- Linda Estrada, Esq., Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia - Washington, D.C.
- James Ferg-Cadima, Esq.’01, Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund - Washington, D.C.
- The Honorable Stuart Ishimaru, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - Washington, D.C.
- Cynthia Jones, ’89, faculty, American University Washington College of Law - Washington, D.C.
- Claudia McKoin, ’99, - The Harley Group, Washington, D.C.
- The Honorable Hiram Puig-Lugo, D.C. Superior Court - Washington, D.C.
- Robert Raben, Esq., The Raben Group - Washington, D.C.
- Ezra Rosser, faculty, American University Washington College of Law - Washington, D.C.
- Sanya Sukduang, Esq.’99, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner - Washington, D.C.
- The Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina (Ret.), Judicial Arbitration & Mediation Service (JAMS) - Washington, D.C.
- Rhonda VanLowe, Esq., Rolls-Royce, N.A. - Reston, Virginia
- Omar Vargas, Esq.’98, Praxair, Inc. - Danbury, CT
Contact Sherry Weaver in the Office of Diversity Services 202-274-4032 for more information about the Dean's Diversity Council.