1L Externship Timeline
- Attend OCPD Info Sessions
- Read the OCPD Student Handbook
- Review and update your resume using samples in the Handbook and on the OCPD website
- Meet with an OCPD Counselor and start preparing application materials – resume, cover letter, writing sample
- Attend the Externship Orientation
- Sign up for Faculty Practice Groups
- During your break, review the Externship Database and OCPD CareerLink Database
- Consider your interests and goals for an externship.
- Review the Externship Fair materials here.
- Apply to placements found in the databases. You do not have to wait until the Externship Fair to apply to a placement.
- Continue applying to placements found in the databases
- Network - See the Finding a Field Placement page for networking tips
- Attend the Externship Fair and the Public Interest Fair
- Follow up with Fair employers with thank you notes, resumes, and cover letters.
- Continue applying
- Get an offer? Review placement evaluations in the Externship Program Office
- No offers yet? Apply to additional field placements
- Check CareerLink and Faculty Practice Group Listservs regularly for new postings
- Register for a Summer or Fall Externship Seminar
- Register your field placement