The field placement must be:
- a not-for-profit organization
- government agency
- Studenta may only externship with such placements when enrolled in the Corporate In-House Counsel Externship Seminar.
- Students may not extern with a for-profit law firm unless exclusively assigned to pro bono matters.
- must be engaged in substantive legal work
- must be supervised by a licensed attorney
- must work onsite in the same location as the supervising attorney, and may not work remotely.
- must be unpaid but student may receive a stipend for out-of-pocket expenses.
Requirements for Supervisors
All supervisors are required to sign a Field Placement Agreement, which outlines their responsibilities.