In addition to the seminar credits, students enrolled in an externship must apply for and enroll in field work credits. Externs earn two, three, or four credits for their fieldwork, depending on the number of hours worked during the course of the semester. All fieldwork credits are graded Pass/Fail. Students may earn no more than 4 credits for fieldwork in any given semester.
During the Fall and Spring Semesters (thirteen week semester):
- 130 hours = 2 Field Credit (Approx. 10 hours per week for 13 weeks)
- 195 hours = 3 Field Credits (Approx. 15 hours per week for 13 weeks)
- 260 hours = 4 Field Credits (Approx. 20 hours per week for 13 weeks)
During the Summer Semester (nine week semester):
- 130 hours = 2 Field Credit (Approx. 15 hours per week for 9 weeks)
- 195 hours = 3 Field Credits (Approx. 22 hours per week for 9 weeks)
- 260 hours = 4 Field Credits (Approx. 29 hours per week for 9 weeks)
Students have the option to register for 1 field credit if they choose, however the minimum hour requirement will remain 130 hours (same as 2 field credits).
Students arrange with the field placement for the appropriate number of hours, depending on the students' hours and the needs of the organization. The hours worked in the field placement must approximately coincide with the seminar/faculty supervision.
Students must keep a log of their hours and must submit the log to their professor at the conclusion of the semester in order to receive academic credit.
Students interested in pursuing an externship outside of the United States should contact the Externship Office for international listings.
The Externship Program attempts to provide accurate, current information, but some of the listings may be outdated. If information is incorrect, please contact the Externship Program at (202) 274-4200 or email@example.com.