FAQ: Can the Clinic Help Me?

  1. What kinds of cases does the Clinic accept?

    Answer: We represent low-income (below approximately 200% of the federal poverty guidelines) and under-represented people living in the D.C. area who have civil cases under D.C. or Maryland law, including family, consumer, employment-related, disability-related, and similar cases; juvenile and adult misdemeanor criminal cases in Maryland referred to us from the Montgomery County Public Defender's Office; federal income tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service; immigration, immigrants' rights, and human rights cases; intellectual property advising and litigation; and business matters involving community-based nonprofits and small businesses.

  1. How do I ask for help from the Clinic?

    Answer: Please call 202-274-4140 for most matters, 202-274-4144 for federal income tax cases. We do not accept walk-ins. Please keep in mind that we are closed during American University's winter break period (the business days between December 23rd and January 2nd in any given year), we do not take new cases during the summer (except for federal tax cases), and we receive most of our cases on referral from other legal service agencies.

  1. I don't live in the D.C. area. Who can I call?

    Answer: To see a directory of nonprofit agencies in your area that may be able to help you, please go to LawHelp.org and click on your state. The LawHelp platform is maintained by legal aid agencies in each state to provide information and resources to the public.

learn more about...