Dr. Bashar H. Malkawi
SJD Program Graduate
Dr. Malkawi earned his S.J.D. from American University Washington College of Law in August 2005. The title of his dissertation was “Jordan and the World Trading System: A Case Study for Arab Countries.” His academic career has traversed both Business and Law schools teaching a variety of courses in Jordan, UAE, Italy, and the United States. He is currently Global Professor of Practice in Law at James E. Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona. He is well-versed in teaching and providing legal advice with 20+ years' experience in private and public sectors. His research agenda focuses on the role of the World Trade Organization, the Regional Trade Agreements, and the Arab Economic Integration. He is also working on specific projects which are examining Arab countries' participation in the WTO dispute settlement mechanism, the application of international law theory to WTO, and the global regulation of intellectual property.
Degrees & Universities
S.J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2005
LL.M. in International Trade Law, the University of Arizona College of Law, 2001
Academic Honors and Achievements
- Tesionline Best Foreign Dissertation Award, for "Jordan and the World Trading System: A Case Study for Arab Countries," Milan, Italy, 2008
- Certificate of Thanks and Appreciation, for services relating to the Hashemite University winning the excellence competition among accounting programs in Jordan conducted by Al- Hussein Fund for Excellence in cooperation with the U.S. Centre for Quality Assurance in International Education, 2007
- Hashemite University Scholarship, Hashemite University, 2002 - 2005
- The University of Arizona College of Law Scholarship, University of Arizona, 2000 – 2001
- Yarmouk University Department of Law Honors List, 1998 - 1999
- Applying Safeguard Measures in Jordan: A Framework for Protecting the Domestic Industry, The MENA Business Law Review 49-54 (2020)
- The Contents and Features of Dispute Settlement under US-Jordan FTA: An Appraisal, 15 Manchester Journal of International Economic Law 167-189 (2018).
- Notification of the GCC to the WTO as a Customs Union: The Whys and Hows, 10 Global Trade and Customs Journal 189-192 (2015).
- Arab Countries' (Under) Participation in the WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism, 14 Flinders Law Journal 1-35 (2012).
- Rules of Origin under U.S. Trade Agreements with Arab Countries: Are they Helping and Hindering Free Trade? 10 Journal of International Trade Law and Policy 29-48 (2011).
- Come and Go? How Temporary Visa Works under U.S. Bilateral Trade Agreements with Arab countries, 24 Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law 145-158 (2010).
- Intellectual Property Protection for Plant Varieties in Jordan, 11 Journal of World Intellectual Property 120-138 (2008).
- Arbitration and the World Trade Organization—The Forgotten Provisions of Article 25 of the Dispute Settlement Understanding, 24 Journal of International Arbitration 173-188 (2007).
- Presenter, Professional Values and Corporate Conduct. Paper presented at Professional Liability Conference. Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, April 13-15, 2010.
- Session chair and presenter, The Islamic Financial System as a [New] Financial System, Challenges of Globalizing Financial System Conference. The Hashemite University, Amman, Jordan, October 21-22, 2009.
- Presenter, Legal Environment and its Role in the Accounting Profession. Paper presented at the 3rd Conference on Management of Business Establishments: Current Global Challenges. Applied Science University, Amman, Jordan, April 27-29, 2009.
- Presenter, Terrorism and Trade: Designing Counter-Terrorism Measures in Compliance with International Trade Rules. Paper presented at the International Conference on Terrorism in the Digital Age. Al-Hussein Bin Talal University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-13, 2008.
- Presenter, Jordan's Accession to the WTO: In Retrospective. Paper presented at the International Conference on Globalization, Economic Reforms, Aid and Democracy in the Arab World. Arab Thought Forum, Amman, Jordan, February 3-4, 2008.
- Presenter, Protection of Confidentiality in Jordan. Paper presented at Legal Aspects for the Application of E-Government System Conference. Al-Isra Private University, Amman, Jordan, November 11-12 2007.
- Invited panel chair, organizer, and presenter, Anti-money Laundering Initiatives in the Arab World workshop. The 26th Cambridge International Conference on Economic Crime. University of Cambridge (Christ's College), Cambridge, United Kingdom, September 2-7, 2007.
- Invited presenter, The Establishment of the WTO. Workshop on the Uruguay Round and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). Ministry of Industry & Trade, Amman, Jordan, July 29-30, 2007.
- Presenter, Food Security, WTO Agriculture Rules, and Arab Countries. Paper presented at the Human Development & Security in Changing World Conference. Tafila Technical University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-12, 2007.
- Presenter, The Arab Free Trade Area. Paper presented at The Arab World and the Challenges of Globalization Conference. Irbid National University, Irbid, Jordan, April 25-26, 2007.
- Presenter, The Interaction between the WTO, Security, Peace, and Governance. Paper presented at the International Conference on Security, Democracy, and Human Rights. Mutah University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-12, 2006.
- Presenter, The Multilateral Trading System in Arab Countries. Paper presented at the Globalization and its Controversies Conference. Lodz, Poland, May 10-13, 2006.
- Invited Presenter, Accession to the WTO of Jordan and Russia. Paper presented at The International Legal Studies and International Visitors Seminars Series. Washington, D.C, United States, March 23, 2004.
- Seven Stars TV Channel, Open Studio Program, Importance of Trade agreements and their Role in the Jordanian Economy (April 12, 2009).
- Jordan, Region Lag behind in Era of Globalization, JORDAN TIMES, February 5, 2008, at 3.