Wireless Configuration for Windows Vista and Windows 7
WCL Secure Wireless Network Instructions
Please refer to the configuration instructions below to take advantage of the new wireless network. Important: Please note that only network cards supporting 802.11a/n 5 GHz will be able to connect to wcl at this time. You should check your list of available wireless networks to make sure your computer can see wcl before going through the instructions below.
If you have any questions about the new wireless network or need assistance connecting to the new network, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-274-4021, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protecting your Connection
Always check for the gold lock or "https" in the address field before transmitting your password or PIN over the network.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
Windows 7 supports wireless networking without the need for additional software. Installing your wireless card on your computer consists of two main steps, installing your wireless card and configuring your wireless card for WCL's wireless network. Most laptops purchased within the last three years will have wireless networking already built-in. Desktop computers can easily have a wireless card installed and may sometimes arrive with one.
WCL's wcl wireless network currently requires an 802.11a/n compliant wireless network card. The network card/adapter must be correctly configured in order to participate in WCL's wcl wireless network.
Simply turn on your computer and insert your external wirelesss network card if it is not already built-in. Some laptops with internal wireless adapters have mechanical switches or special keys on the keyboard that can toggle the wireless adapter on and off. Consult your laptop's documentation to make sure the wireless (WiFi) adapter is enabled if you have trouble completing the steps below.
- Make sure that your computer's wireless card is enabled, then check for available wireless networks using the icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen.
- You should see a pop up screen like this:
- Double click on the wcl wireless network to begin connection.
- The first time you connect you will be prompted with the following security warning:
- Important: Verify that the Radius Server listed in the security alert window is netmon.wcl.american.edu and the Root CA is UTN-USERFirst-Hardware. If you are unsure, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
- Click Connect.
- The Windows Security screen will then appear as shown below.
- Enter your my.american.edu User Name (American\username) and Password in the spaces provided and click OK.
- You should now be connected to wcl.
For further assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-274-4021, or via email email@example.com.