S.J.D. Program Graduates
BASHAR H. MALKAWI
S.J.D. Program Graduate
Dr. Malkawi earned his S.J.D. from American University Washington College of Law in August 2005. His dissertation was titled “Jordan and the World Trading System: A Case Study for Arab Countries.” He currently serves as Associate Professor of Law and Assistant Dean of Students Affairs of Economics and Administrative Science at the Hashemite University in Zarqa, Jordan, and previously served as a Legal Adviser to the Legal Affairs Office at the University. Prior to that, he served as the Legal Drafter and Reviewer for the Government of Iraq and the United States Agency for International Development and Consultant for the Center for Institutional Reform and the Informal Sector and Department for International Development. Dr. Malkawi currently sits on the Editorial Board of the Hashemite University Journal, the Journal of Patents & Trademarks, and the Journal of Law, Ethics and Intellectual Property. His professional memberships include: London Court of International Arbitration's Young International Arbitration Group; International Trade & Finance Association; and Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Dr. Malkawi is fluent in Arabic and English.
Degrees & Universities
S.J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2005
LL.M. in International Trade Law, the University of Arizona College of Law, 2001
LL.B., Yarmouk University Department of Law, Irbid, Jordan, 1999
Academic Honors and Achievements
Tesionline Best Foreign Dissertation Award, for "Jordan and the World Trading System: A Case Study for Arab Countries," Milan, Italy, 2008
Certificate of Thanks and Appreciation, for services relating to the Hashemite University winning the excellence competition among accounting programs in Jordan conducted by Al- Hussein Fund for Excellence in cooperation with the U.S. Centre for Quality Assurance in International Education, 2007
Hashemite University Scholarship, Hashemite University, 2002 - 2005
The University of Arizona College of Law Scholarship, University of Arizona, 2000 – 2001
Yarmouk University Department of Law Honors List, 1998 - 1999
1. JORDAN AND THE WORLD TRADING SYSTEM: A CASE STUDY FOR ARAB COUNTRIES (Germany: VDM Verlag, 2008), 259 pages, ISBN: 978 3 8364 9256 0.
2. The Jordanian Intellectual Property Regime: Triangle of Copyright, Trademark, and Patent, 6 Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (forthcoming 2011). (United Kingdom).
3. Come and Go? How Temporary Visa Works under U.S. Bilateral Trade Agreements with Arab countries, 24 Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law (forthcoming 2010). (United Kingdom).
4. Jordan Accession to the WTO: Retrospective and Prospective, 11 Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy 12-45 (2010). (Canada).
5. Palestinian Economic (under)Development: The Hurdles, 13 The International Journal of Human Rights 530-543 (2009). (United Kingdom).
6. U.S. Trade Relations with Arab Countries: Past, Present, and Future, 9 Global Jurist 1-54 (2009). (United States).
7. Building a Corporate Governance System in Jordan: A Critique of the Current Framework, 52 Journal of Business Law 488-507 (2008). (United Kingdom).
8. The Anti-Money Laundering Framework in Jordan: New Laws and Regulations, 125 Banking Law Journal 337-364 (2008). (United States).
9. Toward Transparency and Rule of Law: New Freedom of Information Regime for Jordan, 13 Communications Law 81-84 (2008). (United Kingdom).
10. The Social Clause of the U.S.-Jordan Free Trade Agreement: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? 32 Journal of Law 11-42 (2008). (Kuwait).
11. Lessons from the U.S.-Jordan Free Trade Agreement, 14 International Trade Law & Regulation 26-38 (2008). (United States).
12. Intellectual Property Protection for Plant Varieties in Jordan, 11 Journal of World Intellectual Property 120-138 (2008). (United Kingdom). (First author with Haitham A. Haloush, second author).
13. The Anti-Danish Trade Boycott: Can it be Challenged under the World Trade Organization? 22 Mu'tah Journal for Research and Studies: Humanities and Social Sciences Series 61-84 (2007). (Jordan).
14. Regional Integration: Whither the Arab Free Trade Area? 34 Legal Issues of Economic Integration 231-254 (2007). (The Netherlands).
15. Broadcasting the 2006 World Cup: The Right of Arab Fans versus ART Exclusivity, 17 Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal 591-609 (2007). (United States).
16. E-Commerce in Light of International Trade Agreements: The WTO and the United States-Jordan Free Trade Agreement, 15 International Journal of Law and Information Technology 153-169 (2007). (United Kingdom).
17. Anti-Terrorist Finance Provisions in Jordan: Important Step but Insufficient, 10 Journal of Money Laundering Control 180-188 (2007). (United Kingdom). (First author with Hikmet O. Malkawi, second author).
18. Arbitration and the World Trade Organization: The Forgotten Provisions of Article 25 of the Dispute Settlement Understanding, 24 Journal of International Arbitration 173-188 (2007). (The Netherlands).
19. The Intellectual Property Provisions of the United States-Jordan Free Trade Agreement: Template or Not Template, 9 Journal of World Intellectual Property 213-229 (2006). (United Kingdom).
20. Anatomy of the Case of Arab countries and the WTO, 20 Arab Law Quarterly 110-151 (2006). (The Netherlands).
21. Islamic Law and Free Trade: Compatibility and Convergence, 2 Journal of Islamic State Practices in International Law 37-54 (2006). (United Kingdom).
22. Shari’a Risk? How Islamic Finance has Changed our Understanding of Islamic Law, 27 Journal of International Banking Law & Regulation (forthcoming 2012). (United Kingdom).
23. nternet Characteristics and Online Alternative Dispute Resolution, 13 Harvard Negotiation Law Review 327-348 (2008). (United States). (Second author with Haitham A. Haloush, first author).
24. Securing Peace through Trade Dividends: Qualifying Industrial Zones between the U.S, Israel, Jordan, and Egypt, 13 Currents: International Trade Law Journal 3-8 (2004). (United States).
25. Legal Developments in Jordan, Vol.1:1 Middle East Law Bulletin (2007), available at <http://www.abanet.org/dch/committee.cfm?com=IC850000>. (American Bar Association, Section of International Law, United States).
26. Co-author, Self-Evaluation Report submitted to Al-Hussein Fund for Excellence and the U.S. Centre for Quality Assurance in International Education, as part of the quality assurance process at the Hashemite University, (2007) (Jordan) (available at the University's Center for Academic Quality Assurance).
27. Co-author, Report to Institutional Reform and the Informal Sector Center (IRIS) at the University of Maryland: Developing Legal Benchmarks for Monitoring the Implementation of Euro-Mediterranean Associations Agreements, published as part of the report by IRIS to the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID), available at <http://www.irisprojects.umd.edu/dfid/index.htm>, (June 2004). (United States).
1. Presenter, Professional Values and Corporate Conduct. Paper presented at Professional Liability Conference. Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, April 13-15, 2010.
2. Session chair and presenter, The Islamic Financial System as a [New] Financial System, Challenges of Globalizing Financial System Conference. The Hashemite University, Amman, Jordan, October 21-22, 2009.
3. Presenter, Legal Environment and its Role in the Accounting Profession. Paper presented at the 3rd Conference on Management of Business Establishments: Current Global Challenges. Applied Science University, Amman, Jordan, April 27-29, 2009.
4. Presenter, Terrorism and Trade: Designing Counter-Terrorism Measures in Compliance with International Trade Rules. Paper presented at the International Conference on Terrorism in the Digital Age. Al-Hussein Bin Talal University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-13, 2008.
5. Presenter, Jordan's Accession to the WTO: In Retrospective. Paper presented at the International Conference on Globalization, Economic Reforms, Aid and Democracy in the Arab World. Arab Thought Forum, Amman, Jordan, February 3-4, 2008.
6. Presenter, Protection of Confidentiality in Jordan. Paper presented at Legal Aspects for the Application of E-Government System Conference. Al-Isra Private University, Amman, Jordan, November 11-12 2007.
7. Invited panel chair, organizer, and presenter, Anti-money Laundering Initiatives in the Arab World workshop. The 26th Cambridge International Conference on Economic Crime. University of Cambridge (Christ's College), Cambridge, United Kingdom, September 2-7, 2007.
8. Invited presenter, The Establishment of the WTO. Workshop on the Uruguay Round and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). Ministry of Industry & Trade, Amman, Jordan, July 29-30, 2007.
9. Presenter, Food Security, WTO Agriculture Rules, and Arab Countries. Paper presented at the Human Development & Security in Changing World Conference. Tafila Technical University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-12, 2007.
10. Presenter, The Arab Free Trade Area. Paper presented at The Arab World and the Challenges of Globalization Conference. Irbid National University, Irbid, Jordan, April 25-26, 2007.
11. Presenter, The Interaction between the WTO, Security, Peace, and Governance. Paper presented at the International Conference on Security, Democracy, and Human Rights. Mutah University, Amman, Jordan, July 10-12, 2006.
12. Presenter, The Multilateral Trading System in Arab Countries. Paper presented at the Globalization and its Controversies Conference. Lodz, Poland, May 10-13, 2006.
13. Invited Presenter, Accession to the WTO of Jordan and Russia. Paper presented at The International Legal Studies and International Visitors Seminars Series. Washington, D.C, United States, March 23, 2004.
14. Seven Stars TV Channel, Open Studio Program, Importance of Trade agreements and their Role in the Jordanian Economy (April 12, 2009).
15. Jordan, Region Lag behind in Era of Globalization, JORDAN TIMES, February 5, 2008, at 3.