|Previous | Spring 2013 | Summer 2013 | Fall 2013 | Spring 2014 (tentative)|
CmprtvPers-1st Amndmnt Law (LAW-795-002)
Last class is March 8
This seminar course will examine the approaches of different legal systems to protection of rights guaranteed by the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, including freedom of religion, assembly, speech, and press. A research paper on a topic chosen by students and approved by the professor will serve as the basis for 80% of the grade; the remaining 20% of the grade will be based on class participation. (To avoid undue overlap with Comparative Media Law, less emphasis will be placed on freedom of the press than on other freedoms protected by the 1st Amendment.) NOTE: This is a two credit course that will meet for two hours TWICE a week until March 8. There will be no classes after March 8. Papers are not due until the end of April.
Textbooks and Other Materials
The textbook information on this page was provided by the instructor. Students should use this information when considering purchases from the AU Campus Store or other vendors. Students may check here to determine if books are currently available for purchase at the AU Campus Store.
Norman Dorsen, et al., Comparative Constitutionalism Cases and Materials”, 2nd ed., (West, 2010) ISBN: 978-0-314-17946-3; Alan Brownstein, “Global Issues in Freedom of Speech and Religion”, (West 2009) ISBN: 978-0-314-18454-2.
First Class Readings
Class #1 Tues., Jan. 10 Global Issues “supplement” (“Supp.”), p. 116-146; Excerpts from Constitutions of Federated States of Micronesia, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia (to be posted on course website on “mylaw”; Comparative Constitutionalism textbook (“CC”), p. 1015-1017
The syllabus is available in the following format(s):