Previous | Spring 2014 | Summer 2014 | Fall 2014 | Spring 2015 (tentative)  
Spring 2012
- Check Availability -
- AU Campus Store -
- Purchasing Course Packets -
 

Higher Education Law (LAW-690-002)
Monk

Meets: 01:30 PM - 03:20 PM (TTH) - Room 103

Enrolled: / Limit:


Notices

Last class is March 8

Description

This course will focus on the law governing higher education (post 12th grade). Topics covered may include the following: the role of legal counsel for higher education institutions; history of development of higher education; legal differences between public and private institutions; limits of government regulation; affirmative action in recruitment of faculty and students; the role of religion; faculty issues, such as academic freedom, tenure, and governance; student rights and responsibilities; and licensing and accreditation. NOTE: This is a two credit course that will meet for two hours TWICE a week until March 8. There will be no classes after March 8. Your research paper, which counts for 80% of the final grade, is not due until the end of April. (The remaining 20% of the grade is based on class participation.)

Textbooks and Other Materials

The textbook information on this page was provided by the instructor. Students should use this information when considering purchases from the AU Campus Store or other vendors. Students may check here to determine if books are currently available for purchase at the AU Campus Store.

“Higher Education and the Law Cases and Materials”, by Judith Areen; Foundation Press. (It does not list a numbered edition because it is the first edition.) Copyright 2009 ISBN: 978-1-59941-283-2

First Class Readings

“Higher Education Law, Cases and Materials”, by Judith Areen, pp. 41-47; 142-162

Syllabus

The syllabus is available in the following format(s):