1L Closing Argument Competition
Online Registration and Payment (further details about Online Payment below).
The 1L Mock Trial Competition will take place during the spring semester on Saturday, January 12, 2013 and Sunday, January 13, 2013. The competition provides first year students the opportunity to experience a Mock Trial competition environment. In this abbreviated competition, 1L students compete against each other and deliver only their closing arguments. A provided case file lays the foundation for each competitor’s closing argument. Participation in the 1L competition is highly encouraged, however, is not required for placement within the Society. In order to become a member of the Mock Trial Honor Society [MTHS], one must compete in the Spring Qualifying Tournament (held at a later date).
MTHS will provide the case file on December 28, 2012 (via email) to all competition registered 1Ls. Based on the facts of the case file; each competitor is to prepare a closing argument for both prosecution and defense.
On the day of competition, MTHS will notify competitors which side they must argue. This will take place at check-in.
Competitors have a maximum of 15 minutes (each) for their closing argument.
All first-year (1L) students are eligible to participate.
Current members of Mock Trial will hold demonstration sessions of an effective closing argument. The sessions will take place on Tuesday, November 4, 2012, at 12:00PM and 10:00PM, in room WCL-603. The demonstration sessions will be webcast for those who cannot attend the live sessions.
Please look to the section on this page titled "Closing Argument Resources" for the webcasts of the Demonstration Sessions. (Last year’s Demo Session is currently available, and this year’s will be uploaded shortly).
Students will be able to register online, November 5 through December 26, 2012. The registration fee of $15 must be made through our online payment system.
Online Payment Instructions
The registration fee for the 1L Closing Argument Competition is $15.00. To pay the registration fee, please follow the instructions below.
- Go to the section on this page titled "Registration"
- Click on "online payment"
- Complete the payment process
- Shortly after you complete the payment process, you will receive an email with the subject "Event Registration." Forward this email to MTHS. You must forward your "Event Registration" to MTHS (email@example.com) to complete the registration process.
- Registration for the 1L Closing Competition
- Registration for the 1L Closing Competition is OPEN NOW and CLOSES on December 26, 2012
- 1L Closing Argument Competition Case File Released
- Friday, December 28, 2012 - Only emailed to registered Competitors.
- 1L Closing Competition
- 1L Closing Competition Saturday, January 12, 2013, (Rounds 1 and 2)
- Sunday, January 13, 2013, (Rounds 3 and Final Championship Round Final)
Spring Qualifying Tournament
- January 15 - February 1, 2013: Registration Period
- February 2, 2013: Case File for Spring Qualifying Tournament Released
- February 15-16, 2013: Spring Qualifying Tournament
Closing Argument Resources
- Webcasts of the 1L Closing Argument Competition Demonstration Sessions
- Thomas A. Mauet on Trial Techniques - Psychology of Persuasion
- Thomas A. Mauet on Trial Techniques - Closing Arguments
- Berger on Trial Advocacy - Planning and Strategy - Closing Arguments
Please visit the MTHS webcast webpage for additional resources.
We look forward to seeing you at the 1L Competition! If you have any questions regarding the 1L Closing Competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Attn: Cody Harnish - 1L Closing Arguments" as the subject.
Follow or contact MTHS @: