First Year Trial Advocacy Competition
Online Registration and Payment (further details about Online Payment below).
The First Year Trial Advocacy Competition will take place during the spring semester on Saturday, January 25th, 2014 and Sunday, January 26th 2014. The competition provides first year students the opportunity to experience a Mock Trial competition environment. In this abbreviated competition, 1L students compete against each other and deliver only their closing arguments. A provided case file lays the foundation for each competitor’s closing argument. Participation in the First Year Trial Advocacy Competition is highly encouraged, however, is not required for placement within the Society. In order to become a member of the Mock Trial Honor Society [MTHS], one must compete in the Spring Qualifying Tournament (held on February 15th and 16th).
MTHS will provide the case file on January 17, 2014 (via email) to all competition registered 1Ls. Based on the facts of the case file; each competitor is to prepare a closing argument for both prosecution and defense.
On the day of competition, MTHS will notify competitors which side they must argue. This will take place at check-in.
Competitors have a maximum of 15 minutes (each) for their closing argument.
All first-year (1L) students are eligible to participate.
UPDATE**** THE DEMONSTRATION SESSION DATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED****UPDATE
Current members of Mock Trial will hold demonstration sessions of an effective closing argument. The sessions will take place on Monday, JANUARY 13th, 2014 at 12:00PM and 10:10PM in room 603.
Please look to the section on this page titled "Closing Argument Resources" for the webcasts of the Demonstration Sessions. (Last year’s Demo Session is currently available, and this year’s will be uploaded shortly).
Students will be able to register online currently. The registration fee of $20 must be made when you register here:
Online Payment Instructions
The registration fee for the 1L Closing Argument Competition is $20.00. Please register here:
- Registration for the 1L Closing Competition
- Registration for the 1L Closing Competition is OPEN NOW and CLOSES on January 21st, 2014
- 1L Closing Argument Competition Case File Released
- January 17th , 2014 - Only emailed to registered Competitors.
- 1L Closing Competition
- 1L Closing Competition Saturday, January 25, 2014, (Rounds 1 and 2)
- Sunday, January 26 2014, (Rounds 3 and Final Championship Round Final)
Spring Qualifying Tournament
- NOW - February 7th, 2014: Registration Period
- February 5, 2014: Case File for Spring Qualifying Tournament Released
- February 15-16, 2014: Spring Qualifying Tournament
Closing Argument Resources
- Webcasts of the 1L Closing Argument Competition Demonstration Sessions
- Thomas A. Mauet on Trial Techniques - Psychology of Persuasion
- Thomas A. Mauet on Trial Techniques - Closing Arguments
- Berger on Trial Advocacy - Planning and Strategy - Closing Arguments
Please visit the MTHS webcast webpage for additional resources.
We look forward to seeing you at the 1L Competition! If you have any questions regarding the 1L Closing Competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Attn: Amy Gordon- First Year Trial Advocacy Competition" as the subject.
Follow or contact MTHS @: