National Immigrant Women's Advocacy Project (NIWAP) Seeks 1 Dean’s Fellow for Summer 2013:
The National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project Law (NIWAP, pronouncednew-app) is a new experiential learning opportunity at American University Washington College of Law. NIWAP’s work benefits immigrant women, children, and immigrant survivors of domestic abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and other crimes. We are a national provider of training, legal and social science research, policy development, and technical assistance to advocates, attorneys,pro bono law firms, law schools, universities, law enforcement, prosecutors, social service and health care providers, justice system personnel, and other professionals who work with immigrant women, children and crime victims.
NIWAP is seeking one part-time Dean’s fellow to join us this summer. The work may include an opportunity to work on the following types of projects:
- Updating brochures and training materials to reflect the implementation of new Violence Against Women Act regulations;
- Creating and updating training materials and outreach brochures to be used for training law enforcement, prosecutors, judges, and court personnel on U-visa certification;
- Working with ICE to train U and T visa hotline staff, and doing outreach on improving and strengthening relationships between ICE and domestic violence organizations;
- Tool kits for adult protective services and child protective services staff on U-visa certification;
- Collecting best practices, policies, stories on U-visa certification by law enforcement and prosecutors;
- Collection of stories from the field documenting best practices and gaps in services and protections;
- Assist NIWAP legal staff in responding to technical assistance requests from state, local and federal government agencies and from advocates and attorneys across the country.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in this position to Rocio Molina (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will remain open until position is filled.