National Immigrant Women's Advocacy Project (NIWAP) Seeks One Dean’s Fellow for Fall 2013:
The National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project Law (NIWAP, pronounced new-app) is a new experiential learning opportunity at American University Washington College of Law. NIWAP’s work benefits immigrant women, children, and immigrant survivors of domestic abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and other crimes. We are a national provider of training, legal and social science research, policy development, and technical assistance to advocates, attorneys, pro bono law firms, law schools, universities, law enforcement, prosecutors, social service and health care providers, justice system personnel, and other professionals who work with immigrant women, children and crime victims.
NIWAP is seeking one part-time (20 hours/week) Dean’s fellow to join us this fall. The work may include an opportunity to work on the following types of projects:
- Updating training materials to reflect the implementation of new Violence Against Women Act 2013 regulations;
- Assisting NIWAP legal staff in responding to technical assistance requests from state, local and federal government agencies and from advocates and attorneys across the country;
- Developing bench cards and training tools to train judges across the country on issues that arise in family court for immigrant victims of domestic violence;
- Creating and updating training materials, a model U visa certification policy, and outreach brochures to be used for training law enforcement, prosecutors, judges, and court personnel on U-visa certification;
- Assist in developing training materials for lawyers on working with interpreters and on trauma-informed work with immigrant crime victims;
- Helping develop and edit tool kits for adult protective services on U-visa certification;
- Collecting of stories from the field documenting best practices and gaps in services and protections;
- Conducting legal and social science research on the experiences of immigrant victims of crime.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in this position to Rocio Molina (email@example.com). Applications will remain open until position is filled