LL.M. Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for an LL.M., applicants must:

  • Hold a Juris Doctor (JD) from a US law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) or from a foreign law school with equivalent standards. 
  • Submit a completed application form along with supporting documents before the application deadline
  • International applicants must provide proof of competency in English. 

Proof of Competency in English

Applicants whose first language is not English must take one of the following English competency tests.  Applications will not be considered complete until results have been submitted.  This requirement is waived only for applicants who have received their law degree from an accredited institution in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand. 

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Person Test of English (PTE)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • International Legal English Certificate (ILEC)

Program specific information can be found on the individual websites.

If you are not sure whether you are required to take an English competency exam, please contact the individual programs. 

VISA Requirements for International Applicants

Non-U.S. citizens must submit the Certification of Finances for International Students (CFIS) and appropriate financial documentation with their application or after being admitted, in order to receive an I-20 form upon admission.  The I-20 allows the student to apply for an F-1 (student) visa. Failure to return the CFIS will result in a delay in the issuance of the I-20. Students studying under other nonimmigrant visa categories will be contacted if there is an issue with their visa status.

Most international students attend WCL on an F-1 visa. A new visa can be acquired only at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Since application procedures vary by location, please contact the U.S. embassy or consulate where you plan to apply for your visa.

Required documents for your visa application:

  • Signed and valid I-20
  • Valid passport  
  • Financial documents for at least one full academic year, issued within three months  of application
  • Official admission letter  
  • Application and application fee (provided at the U.S. embassy or consulate)  
  • Supporting documents to provide evidence of intent to return to your home country, such as family ties, property, or a job in your country

Please contact the Office of International Student & Scholar Services for more information.