Emma M. Gillett
Click here to enlarge.
 

Dean Emma M. Gillett
1914-23
Acting Dean: 1924-1925

Click here for more information on Emma M. Gillett.

The following information relates to the School from 1914 to 1925.

Location of the Law School
September 1920: 1315 K Street, NW, the former home of Robert Ingersoll and the first location owned by the Law School.

Number of students
1915: 148 students part-time, 63 women, 85 men, including one from "Jugo-Slavia"

Faculty & staff
1918: 22 professors/8 lecturers, part-time

Admissions
High School diploma

Degrees granted
1914: 32 LL.B., 10 LL.M., 5 M.P.L., 24 women, 23 men
1923: 48 LL.B., 8 LL.M., 9 M.P.L.

Charter, incorporation, merger
1918: Reincorporation of WCL: language amended to specifically include men

Library
1915: 1,000+ volumes
1920: 2,000+ volumes

Student Publications
September 1920: The College Grit, the first WCL student newspaper, published

Curriculum
1914: Catalogue: "Textbook, lecture, and case system, with frequent quizzes by a competent quiz master´┐Ż"

Tuition & Miscellaneous
1920: $75/year
1922: Belva A. Lockwood Scholarship established

Groups & Organizations
1916: Kappa Beta Pi International Legal Sorority


- Timeline Brochure: Washington College of Law in Celebration of its Centennial: Facts and Events 1896-1996. Compiled by Karen Monroe, '82; Audrey Pia, '84; Di Horvath '86; Lisa Longo, '88; Susan Notar, '90; Melissa McGill, '94; Lycia Watts, '96; under directio of Dr. Paul Purta, Consultant and former Associate Dean for Institutional Advancement.

- Back to Deans | Back to Gillett -