Financial Aid Checklist
The following steps are necessary for timely processing of student financial. Attention to deadlines and procedures ensures maximum consideration for aid offered by the Washington College of Law.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the March 1 priority deadline at www.fafsa.gov. The AU Title IV Code is 001434
- File federal income tax returns early to report actual income figures on the FAFSA. Estimated figures may be used if tax filing is delayed.
- File the Need Access application for WCL need-based grant aid by March 1 (full-time JD students only) at www.needaccess.org. Upperclassmen must also submit a WCL Supplemental Information Form by May 1st.
- Submit Student Aid Report (SAR) corrections to the FAFSA processor promptly.
- Respond to requests for additional documentation promptly. Income documents are most often requested.
- Accept your financial aid offer at my.american.edu.
- Complete and sign the Master Promissory Notes (Subsidized/Unsubsidized and Graduate Plus) for federal loans if necessary.
- Complete Loan Entrance Counseling requirements. This requirement applies to first-time borrowers at AU.
- File the supplemental loan application early to ensure receipt of funds by the start of classes. Refer to "Types of Aid – Supplemental Loans" of the financial aid web site for details. All students should apply for supplemental loans starting June 1 and no later than July 1. Note: The Grad PLUS application is filed at https://studentloans.gov/.
- Organize and keep a record of all financial aid related documents and correspondence. Pay particular attention to notices from your lender(s).
- Contact the Financial Aid Office at 202-274-4040 if you have further questions.