Associate Professor of Law
Director, Immigrant Justice Clinic
Office: Room 428
Jayesh Rathod is an Assistant Professor of Law at American University Washington College of Law. His areas of expertise and scholarly interests include immigrants’ rights, labor and employment, occupational safety and health, and the intersection of law and organizing. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a Staff Attorney at CASA of Maryland, representing low-wage immigrant workers on employment law and immigration matters, and participating in worker education, organizing, and advocacy efforts. He also practiced in the litigation section at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering LLP, and was law clerk to the Honorable Louis F. Oberdorfer, of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Over the course of his career, he has worked with numerous non-governmental organizations to advance the civil and human rights of communities in the United States and abroad.
Areas of Specialization
- Clinical Legal Education
- Immigration Law
- Labor Relations and Employment Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law 2001
- A.B, Harvard University 1997
- Jayesh Rathod, The Transformative Potential of Attorney Bilingualism, 46 U. Mich. J.L. Reform (forthcoming 2013). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Immigrant Entrepreneurs, in Community Economic Development Law: A Text for Engaged Learning (Carolina Academic Press 2012).
- Jayesh Rathod, Protecting Immigrant Workers Through Interagency Cooperation, 53 Ariz. L. Rev. 1157 (2012). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, A Season of Change: Reforming the H-2B Guest Worker Program, 45 Clearinghouse Rev. 20 (May-June 2011). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Beyond the “Chilling Effect”: Immigrant Worker Behavior and the Regulation of Occupational Safety & Health, 14 Employee Rights & Empl. Policy J. 267 (2010).
- Jayesh Rathod, Book Review: Beate Andrees & Patrick Belser, Forced Labor: Coercion & Exploitation in the Private Economy, 31 Comp. Lab. L. & Policy J. 861 (2010). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, Immigrant Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Regime: A New Vision for Workplace Regulation, 33 N.Y.U. Rev. L. & Soc. Change 479 (2009). SSRN Link
- Jayesh Rathod, The A.F.L.-C.I.O. – NDLON Agreement: Five Proposals for Advancing the Partnership, 14 No. 3 Hum. Rights Br. 8 (1997). SSRN Link