Professor of Law
Office: Room 458
Elliott Milstein was president of the Association of American Law Schools in 2000, the first clinical teacher elected to that position. He was dean of the Washington College of Law from 1988 to 1995 and served one year as interim president of American University starting in 1993. He has been a clinical teacher for nearly his whole career, starting in 1969, and founded the clinical program here at WCL. He has been a leader in the development of the concepts and methods that are the basis for in-house clinical education and has trained or mentored a substantial number of clinical teachers. He currently teaches in the Civil Practice Clinic and also facilitates a program to train new clinical teachers.
Areas of Specialization
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Clinical Legal Education
- Immigration Law
- International Human Rights
Degrees & Universities
- LL.D., Nova Southeastern University 2001 (honorary)
- LL.D. , University of Hartford 1997 (honorary)
- LL.M., Yale University 1971
- J.D., University of Connecticut 1969
- B.A., University of Hartford 1966
- Susan Bryant & Elliott Milstein, Rounds: A "Signature Pedagogy" For Clinical Education, 14 Clin. L. Rev. 195 (2007).
- Elliott Milstein, Teaching Professional Values Through Clinical Legal Education: Address for the Opening Ceremony of Reitsumeikan School of Law, 22 Reitsumeikan L. Rev. 111 (2005).
- Elliott Milstein, Preparing Students for Transnational Lawyering: The Role of Clinical Legal Education, AALS Conference on Educating Lawyers for Transnational Challenges 599 (2004).
- Elliott Milstein & Susan Bryant, Reflections Upon the 25th Anniversary of The Lawyering Process: An Introduction to the Symposium, 10 Clin. L. Rev. 1 (2003).
- Elliott Milstein, Clinical Legal Education in the United States: In-House, Externships and Simulations, 51 J. Leg. Educ. 375 (2001).
- Elliott Milstein, President's Message: Academic Freedom, Law School Governance and Clinical Teachers, AALS Newsltr. (Nov. 2000).
- Elliott Milstein, President's Message: Coming Soon to A Law School Near You: A Colloquium on How You Can Help Promote Access to Equal Justice, AALS Newsltr. (Aug. 2000).
- Elliott Milstein, Presidential Address to the AALS House of Representatives: Striving for Equal Justice: The AALS in Its Second Century, AALS Newsltr. (Feb. 2000).
- Elliott Milstein, The Emergence of Clinical Scholarship: WCL Setting the Pace, 1990 Am. Inquiry 29 (1990).
- Elliott Milstein, Scholarship at WCL: Achievement and Recognition, 1989 Am. Inquiry 22 (1989).
- Elliott Milstein, WCL Faculty Scholarship: Reflections on Its Success, 1988 Am. Inquiry 33 (1988).
- Elliott Milstein, PTSD: The War is Over, The Battles Go On, 19 Tr. 86 (1983).
- Elliott Milstein, The Future of Clinical Legal Education, 6 Dist. Law. 12 (1982).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Goals of Clinical Legal Education: Why Do We Teach? (AALS New Clinical Teachers Conference, June 29, 2008).
- Elliott Milstein, Presentation, Goals of Clinical Education (Georgetown University Law Center’s Workshop for Advanced Clinical Teachers, Wash., D.C., June 17, 2008).
- Elliott Milstein, Plenary Speech, Reflection on Supervision: Developing Sites for Insights (AALS Clinical Teachers Conference, May 12, 2008).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Alternatives to Tenure? Models for Faculty Status (AALS Workshop for Law Librarians, May 2008).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, AALS Clinical Section Program on Law School Governance and Academic Freedom (AALS, Jan. 2006).
- Elliott Milstein, Presenter, William Pincus Award to Professor David Binder (Section on Clinical Education, Jan. 1, 2006).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Clinical Education, Indeterminacy and the Reform of the Law School Curriculum (International Clinical Teachers Conference, UCLA Conference Center, Lake Arrowhead, Cal., 2005).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Clinical Education, Indeterminacy and the Reform of the Law School Curriculum. (University of Puerto Rico, P.R., 2004).
- Elliott Milstein, Paper Presentation, Clinical Education, Lawyer Values and Transnational Practice (University of Hong Kong, Conference on the Future of Legal Education in China, Hong Kong, P.R.C., 2004).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Conference on Equal Justice (Utah State Bar Association, 2004).
- Elliott Milstein, Lecture, Clinical Education, Indeterminacy and the Reform of the Law School Clinical Education, Indeterminacy and the Reform of the Law School Curriculum Curriculum (Albany Law School, Albany, N.Y., 2003).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Critical Moments in the Conceptualization of Lawyering: Reflections upon the Quater Century Since the Publication of Bellow and Moulton's, (American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., 2003).
- Elliott Milstein, Speech, Clinical Education, Indeterminacy and the Reform of the Law School Curriculum (New York Clinical Theory Workshop, N.Y.C., N.Y., 2002).
- Elliott Milstein, Keynote Address, Curricular Reform in American Law Schools, 1966 to the Present (Touro C. Sch. L., Conference on Curricular Reform, 2001).
Selected Honors & Awards
- Honorary Professor of Law (Appointed by the Faculty of Law of Zhejiang Gongshang University in China July 25, 2008).