Trish Maskew joined the Washington College of Law adjunct faculty in 2010, where she teaches Adoption Law, Policy, and Practice. Ms. Maskew is also an attorney with the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in the Office of Immigration Litigation. Before joining the Department of Justice, Ms. Maskew worked in the adoption field first as a practitioner, serving as a program coordinator for an international adoption agency, and as a board member and administrator for the Joint Council on International Children’s Services. In late 2002, she founded Ethica, a non-governmental organization dedicated to adoption reform, where she served as President until 2008. She has also served as a consultant to the Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law, where she wrote the first draft of the Guide to Good Practice, an implementation manual for countries ratifying the multinational Hague Adoption Convention, and developed a pilot technical assistance program. She later served as a technical advisor to the Cambodian government during a consultancy with the Hague’s Intercountry Adoption Technical Assistance Program.
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law
- Trish Maskew, Our Own: Adopting and Parenting the Older Child (2d ed., Snowcap Press forthcoming 2012).
- Trish Maskew, The Failure of Promise: The U.S. Regulations on Intercountry Adoption under the Hague Convention, 60 Am. U. Admin. L. Rev. (2008).
- Trish Maskew, Red Thread or Slender Reed: Deconstructing Prof. Bartholet’s Mythology of International Adoption, 14 Buff. Hum. Rights L. Rev. (2008).
- Trish Maskew, Child Trafficking and Intercountry Adoption: The Cambodian Experience, 35 Cumberland L. Rev. (2005).
- Trish Maskew, Guide to Good Practice Under the 1993 Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption: Implementation, Initial draft for consideration and adoption by member countries for the Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law; The Hague, Netherlands (2005; reviewed and approved with suggested changes by member countries, 2006).
- Trish Maskew, Adoption Regulation and Consumer Protection, for J. Joseph Curran, Attorney General, Maryland, for presentation to the National Association of Attorneys General (2004).
- Trish Maskew, Child Trafficking: Why Can’t the Immigration Service Prove It?, Ethica (2003).