Professor of Law
Office: Room 328
Lewis Grossman joined the faculty of WCL in 1997. He became professor of law in 2003. He teaches and specializes in American legal history, civil procedure and food and drug law. Prior to joining the faculty of WCL, he was an associate at the D.C. firm of Covington & Burling, and prior to that, he was clerk for Chief Judge Abner Mikva, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit.
Areas of Specialization
- Civil Procedure
- Food and Drug Law
- Legal History
Degrees & Universities
- Ph.D., History, Yale University 2005
- J.D., Harvard Law School 1990 (magna cum laude)
- B.A., Yale University 1986 (summa cum laude)
- Lewis A. Grossman, Peter B. Hutt & Richard A. Merrill, Food and Drug Law: Cases and Materials (4th ed., Foundation Press 2013 forthcoming 2013).
- Lewis Grossman, The Origins of American Health Libertarianism, 13 Yale J. Health Policy L. & Ethics (forthcoming Jan. 2013).
- Lewis Grossman, ’The Benefits and Evils of Competition’: James Coolidge Carter’s Supreme Court Advocacy, in Transformations in American Legal History: Essays in Honor of Professor Morton J. Horwitz, 142-168 (Morton J Horwitz, Alfred Brophy & Daniel Hamilton, Harvard University Press 2009).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Food, Drugs, and Droods: A Historical Consideration of Definitions and Categories in American Food and Drug Law, 93 Cornell L. Rev. 1091 (2008). SSRN Link
- Lewis Grossman, Food and Drug Law: Statutory Supplement: Cases and Materials (3d, Foundation Press 2008).
- Lewis Grossman & Robert G. Vaughn, A Documentary Companion to a Civil Action (4th, Foundation Press 2008).
- Lewis Grossman, Res judicata – The Story of Parklane: The ‘Litigation Crisis’ and the Efficiency Imperative, in Civil Procedure Stories, 405-444 (Kevin M. Clermont, 2nd, 2008).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Peter B. Hutt & Richard A. Merrill, Food and Drug Law: Cases and Materials (3d ed., Foundation Press 2007). SSRN Link
- Lewis A. Grossman & Robert Vaughn, A Documentary Companion to 'A Civil Action' (3d ed., Foundation Press 2006).
- Lewis A. Grossman & Robert Vaughn, Teacher's Manual for A Documentary Companion to A Civil Action (2d ed., Foundation Press 2002).
- Lewis Grossman, Codes and Codification: United States Law, in Oxford Encyclopedia of Legal History, vol. 2, 50-51 (Stanley N. Katz, Oxford University Press 2009).
- Lewis Grossman, John Norton Pomeroy, in The Yale Biographical Dictionary of American Law, 431 (Roger K. Newman, Yale University Press 2009).
- Lewis Grossman, James Coolidge Carter, in The Yale Biographical Dictionary of American Law, 98 (Roger K. Newman, Yale University Press 2009).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Langdell Upside-Down: James Coolidge Carter and the Anticlassical Jurisprudence of Anticodification, 19 Yale J.L. & Humanities 149 (2007). SSRN Link
- Lewis A. Grossman, The Ideal and the Actual of James Coolidge Carter: Morality and Law in the Gilded Age, (winner, George Washington Egleston Prize for Best Dissertation in the Field of American History (Yale Ph.D. dissertation 2005)).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Review of Mark Warren Bailey, Guardians of the Moral Order: The Legal Philosophy of the Supreme Court, 1860-1910, 92 J. Am. Hist. 241 (2005).
- Lewis A. Grossman, The Story of Parklane Hosiery, in Civil Procedure Stories (Kevin M. Clermont, ed., Foundation Press 2004).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Extending the Revisionist Project, 20 L. & Hist. Rev. 639 (2002).
- Lewis A. Grossman, James Coolidge Carter and Mugwump Jurisprudence, 20 L. & Hist. Rev. 577 (2002). SSRN Link
- Lewis A. Grossman, Codification and the California Mentality, 45 Hastings L.J. 617 (1994). SSRN Link
- Lewis A. Grossman, John C. Fremont, Mariposa, and the Collision of Mexican and American Law, 6 W. Leg. Hist. 17 (1993) (reprinted in 31 Pub. Land & Res. L. Dig. 111 (1994)). SSRN Link
- Lewis A. Grossman, Self-Censorship by Media Industries, 15 Colum. J.L. & Arts 443 (1991).
- Lewis Grossman, Presentation, Mugwump Lawyering: James Coolidge Carter as Attorney (George Washington University Law School Scholarship Roundtable: Legal History, Wash., D.C., Sept. 29, 2006).
- Lewis Grossman, Participant, Hayek: The Common Law and Liberty (Liberty Fund Colloquium, Arlington, Va., July 13 - 16, 2006).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Panel, The Moral Common Law of the Gilded Age Anticodifiers on panel titled The Moral Judiciary in the Gilded Age (American Society for Legal History Annual Meeting, Austin, Tex., Oct. 10, 2004).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, UnLangdellian Orthodoxy: The Common Law Jurisprudence of the Late Nineteenth Century Anticodification Movement (Southeastern Assocaition of Law Schools Annual Meeting, Amelia Island, Fla., July 25, 2004).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Presentation, Legal Issues in Long-Term Follow-Up of Gene Therapy Trials (American Society of Gene Therapy Workshop on Long Term Follow-Up of Gene Therapy Clinical Trials, June 2004).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Panel, Civil Procedure: The Historical Perspective, Putting Procedure in Perspective (Association of American Law Schools, N.Y.C., N.Y., June 18, 2003).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Panel, James Coolidge Carter and Mugwump Jurisprudence, Intellectual Biography and Intellectual History: The Example of Gilded Age Legal Thought (American Society for Legal History Annual Meeting, Princeton, N.J., Oct. 20, 2000).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, Regulation of Genetically Modifed Foods, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Comes to Stanford (Stanford Law School, Stanford, Cal., Mar. 23, 2000).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, Categorical Definitions of FDA-Regulated Products, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Comes to Stanford (Stanford Law School, Stanford, Cal., Mar. 23, 2000).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, Teaching from A Civil Action (Annual Conference of the American Association for Paralegal Education, Bos., Mass., Oct. 14, 1999).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, Untold Procedural Stories from (Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass, Jan. 30, 1999).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Testimony, Testimony before Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee regarding FDA regulation of tobacco products (Wash., D.C., Feb. 24, 1998).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech, FDA Regulation of Tobacco (Mealy Tobacco Conference, Chi., Ill., Sept. 18, 1997).
- Lewis A. Grossman, Speech Presented by Peter Barton Hutt, A Brief and General History of Government Policy Concerning Patent Rights to Federally-Funded Pharmaceutical Inventions (Institute of Medicine's Roundtable for the Development of Drugs and Vaccines Against AIDS, National Academy of Sciences, Apr. 18, 1994).