Associate Director, Women and the Law Program
Office: 4910 Building - Suite 113
Daniela Kraiem is the Associate Director of the Women and the Law Program and a Practitioner-in-Residence at American University Washington College of Law. Daniela works with the students, faculty and staff of the Washington College of Law incorporate gender into all aspects of legal education. She plans academic conferences on various subjects in the area of feminist jurisprudence (including in recent years meetings addressing Comparative Family Law, IP/Gender, Human Trafficking, and Prosecuting Sexual and Gender-based Crimes Before International/ized Criminal Tribunals). She coordinates grant-funded projects, including the Gender Jurisprudence Database Project (with the War Crimes Research Office). She collaborates with student groups to plan events on current issues in gender and law, works with the Academic Dean’s office to support the Washington College of Law’s comprehensive gender and law curriculum, and advises the students enrolled in the Gender and Law specializations in Washington College of Law’s two LLM programs.
Prior to joining the Washington College of Law, she represented labor unions and workers as an Associate at the law firm of McCarthy, Johnson and Miller in San Francisco. She was also a Staff Attorney at the Child Care Law Center, where she specialized in early childhood education workforce development, supporting women-owned small businesses, and increasing the availability of high quality child care for all children.
Her current research interests include the political economy of long term care for the elderly and persons with disabilities, child care, and gender and legal education.
Areas of Specialization
- Gender and the Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., University of California at Davis 1999
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara 1996
- Daniela Kraiem, Consumer Direction in Medicaid Long Term Care: Autonomy, Commodification of Family Labor, and Community Resilience, 19 Am. U. J. Gender Soc. Policy & L. 671 (2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Disparities in Long Term Care, 4 Health L. & Policy Br. 30 (Fall 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem & Jamie R.Abrams, Banding Together: Reflections of the Role of the Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia and the Washington College of Law in Promoting Women's Rights, 4 The Modern Am. 42 (Fall 2008).
- Daniela Kraiem & Jennifer Reich, Writing Wrongs in Welfare: Why Legislating Morality Will Not Solve the Crisis of Poverty, 2 U.C. Davis J. Juv. L. & Policy 6 (1997).
- Daniela Kraiem, Presentation, Pitied but Not Protected: Fair Labor Standards, Occupational Health and Safety, Workers’ Compensation and the In-home Long-term Care Workforce (The "New" American Workday: How 9 to 5 has become 24/7, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Apr. 2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Speech, Closing Remarks (IP/Gender: Mapping the Connections, Gender and Traditional Cultural Expressions American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Apr. 2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Moderator, Gender Issues in Development: The Case of Violence against Women, National and International Initiatives (World Bank, Law and Justice Forum, D.C., Nov. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Keynote Speaker, Women’s Legal History in the United States: Challenges Past and Present (U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program, “Women in Justice,” Academy for Educational Development, D.C., Sept. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Consumer Direction in Long Term Care in the United States (Transforming Care: Provision, Quality and Inequalities in Late Life, Danish National Centre for Social Research, Copenhagen, Den., June 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, The State of Long Term Care: Autonomy, Commodification and Community Resilience (Feminism and Legal Theory Conference, Emory School of Law, Atlanta, Ga., Mar. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Disparities in Long Term Care: Defining Autonomy (Symposium on Health Care Disparities and Reform, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Feb. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Cash and Counseling: Long-Term Care Policy, Poverty and Family Life in the United States (Poverty and Economic Mobility, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Oct. 2009).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Integrating Gender into Legal Education: Teaching Inequality in Law Schools (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Denver, Colo., May 2009).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Gender and Legal Education: The Place of Reproduction in the Law School Curriculum (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Can., May 2008).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Integrating Gender into Legal Education: Transforming Women’s Legal Status (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Berlin, Ger., July 2007).