Acting Director, Women and the Law Program
Office: 4910 Building - Suite 113
Daniela Kraiem is the Acting Director of the Women and the Law Program and a Practitioner-in-Residence at American University Washington College of Law. Daniela collaborates with the students, faculty and staff to integrate gender into all aspects of legal education. When she is not teaching courses in gender and domestic policy, gender and international and comparative law and advanced legal writing, she fundraises for and coordinates grant-funded projects that connect the WCL community with the legal needs and concerns of women and LGBTI persons. These currently include the Student Debt and Education Justice Project, a new effort to address the legal and policy aspects of student debt, the Gender Jurisprudence Collections Project, which focuses on the prosecution of gender-based violence in conflict, and the Gender, Health and Justice Project, which promotes the use of human rights instruments and domestic law to improve the health of women and LGBTI persons. She supports WCL’s comprehensive gender and law curriculum, which includes twenty courses per year, as well as LLM specializations in “Gender and Law” in both domestic and international legal contexts. She works with students to plan substantive and career development events that encourage them to pursue activities and employment focused on gender justice.
Prior to joining the Washington College of Law, Daniela represented labor unions and workers as an associate at McCarthy, Johnson and Miller in San Francisco. As a staff attorney at the Child Care Law Center, she specialized in early childhood education workforce development, supporting small child care businesses, and increasing the availability of affordable, high quality child care for all children. Her legal research projects span student debt, long-term care, gender and health, and child care. She blogs about student debt at studentdebtjustice.org.
Areas of Specialization
- Gender and the Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., University of California at Davis 1999
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara 1996
- Daniela Kraiem, Consumer Direction in Medicaid Long Term Care: Autonomy, Commodification of Family Labor, and Community Resilience, 19 Am. U. J. Gender Soc. Policy & L. 671 (2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Disparities in Long Term Care, 4 Health L. & Policy Br. 30 (Fall 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem & Jamie R.Abrams, Banding Together: Reflections of the Role of the Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia and the Washington College of Law in Promoting Women's Rights, 4 The Modern Am. 42 (Fall 2008).
- Daniela Kraiem & Jennifer Reich, Writing Wrongs in Welfare: Why Legislating Morality Will Not Solve the Crisis of Poverty, 2 U.C. Davis J. Juv. L. & Policy 6 (1997).
- Daniela Kraiem, Presentation, Pitied but Not Protected: Fair Labor Standards, Occupational Health and Safety, Workers’ Compensation and the In-home Long-term Care Workforce (The "New" American Workday: How 9 to 5 has become 24/7, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Apr. 2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Speech, Closing Remarks (IP/Gender: Mapping the Connections, Gender and Traditional Cultural Expressions American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Apr. 2011).
- Daniela Kraiem, Moderator, Gender Issues in Development: The Case of Violence against Women, National and International Initiatives (World Bank, Law and Justice Forum, D.C., Nov. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Keynote Speaker, Women’s Legal History in the United States: Challenges Past and Present (U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program, “Women in Justice,” Academy for Educational Development, D.C., Sept. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Consumer Direction in Long Term Care in the United States (Transforming Care: Provision, Quality and Inequalities in Late Life, Danish National Centre for Social Research, Copenhagen, Den., June 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, The State of Long Term Care: Autonomy, Commodification and Community Resilience (Feminism and Legal Theory Conference, Emory School of Law, Atlanta, Ga., Mar. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Disparities in Long Term Care: Defining Autonomy (Symposium on Health Care Disparities and Reform, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Feb. 2010).
- Daniela Kraiem, Panelist, Cash and Counseling: Long-Term Care Policy, Poverty and Family Life in the United States (Poverty and Economic Mobility, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Oct. 2009).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Integrating Gender into Legal Education: Teaching Inequality in Law Schools (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Denver, Colo., May 2009).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Gender and Legal Education: The Place of Reproduction in the Law School Curriculum (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Can., May 2008).
- Daniela Kraiem, Roundtable Organizer and Chair, Integrating Gender into Legal Education: Transforming Women’s Legal Status (L. & Socy. Assn. Annual Meeting, Berlin, Ger., July 2007).