Visiting Professor of Law
Office: Room 350B
Juan E. Méndez is a Visiting Professor of Law at the American University – Washington College of Law, and since November 2010, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment or Punishment. In 2009 and 2010 he was the Special Advisor on Prevention to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court. He is also Co-Chair of the Human Rights Institute of the International Bar Association. Until May 2009 he was the President of the International Center for Transnational Justice (ICTJ) and in the summer of 2009 he was a Scholar-in-Residence at the Ford Foundation in New York. Concurrent with his duties at ICTJ, the Honorable Kofi Annan named Mr. Méndez his Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide, a task he performed from 2004 to 2007.
Areas of Specialization
- International Human Rights
- International Law
- International Criminal Law
Degrees & Universities
- Certificate, American University Washington College of Law 1980
- Law Degree, Stella Maris Catholic University 1970
- Juan Mendez, An Emerging ‘Right to Truth:’ Latin-American Contributions, in Legal Institutions and Collective Memories (Suzanne Karstedt, Hart Publishing 2009).
- Juan Mendez, Preface: Genocide in Guatemala, in Quiet Genocide: Guatemala 1981-83 (Etelle Higonnet, Transaction 2009).
- Juan Mendez, Individual Accountability for Human Rights Violations, in Global Standards, Local Action: 15 Years Vienna World Conference on Human Rights (Wolfgang Benedek et al., Intersentia 2009).
- Juan Mendez, Prevention of Genocide and Its Challenges, in Standing for Change in Peacekeeping Operations: Project for a UN Emergency Peace Service (Kavitha Suthanthiraraj and Manah Quinn, Global Action to Prevent War 2009).
- Juan Mendez, Seguridad Internacional y Derechos Humanos, in Derechos Humanos Hoy: Balance Internacional (Victor Abramovich and Alia Trabucco Zeran, Universidad de Chile 2008).
- Juan Mendez, Preventing, Implementing and Enforcing International Humanitarian Law, in Proceedings of the First International Humanitarian Law Dialogs (Elizabeth Andersen and David M. Crane, American Society of International Law 2008).
- Juan Mendez, Remarks on Intervention: To Prevent and Punish: Commemorating the Sixtieth Anniversary of the Negotiations of the Genocide Convention, 40 Case W. Res. J. Intl. L. 87 (2008).
- Juan Mendez, Keynote Address: Symposium 2008 The United Nations and the Genocide Convention: A 60th Anniversary Commemmoration, 61 Rutgers L. Rev. 41 (Fall 2008).
- Juan Mendez, The View from Outside the Government, in Legal Standards and the Interrogation of Prisoners in the War on Terror (Cynthia Arnson and Philippa Strum, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars 2007).
- Juan Mendez, The United Nations and the Prevention of Genocide, in The Criminal Law of Genocide: International, Comparative and Contextual Aspects (Ralph Henham and Paul Behrens, Ashgate 2007).
- Juan Mendez, Lessons Learned, in Victims Unsilenced: The Inter-American Human Rights System and Transitional Justice in Latin America (Katya Salazar and Thomas Antkowiak, Due Process of Law Foundation 2007).
- Juan Mendez, Lou Henkin, Transitional Justice and the Prevention of Genocide, 38 Columbia Hum. Rights L. Rev. 477 (Spring 2007).
- Juan Mendez and Francisco Bariffi, Right to Truth: International Protection, in Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law (Rudiger Wolfrum, Oxford University Press 2007).
- Juan Mendez and Francisco Bariffi, The Scilingo Case, in Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law (Rudiger Wolfrum, Oxford University Press 2007).
- Juan Mendez and Francisco Bariffi, The Cavallo Case, in Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law (Rudiger Wolfrum, Oxford University Press 2007).