Professor of Law
Office: Room 474
Heather Hughes teaches in the areas of commercial law and property. Her research focuses on complex commercial transactions, the Uniform Commercial Code, property law, and private law theory. Before joining the faculty at WCL, Professor Hughes was an assistant professor at Florida International University College of Law in Miami. She practiced in the business department at Morrison & Foerster, LLP in San Francisco, and the commercial transactions group at a small, private firm in Denver. Professor Hughes is a fellow at the Center for Law, Economics, and Finance, (C-LEAF) at George Washington University School of Law, Washington, D.C.
Areas of Specialization
- Secured Transactions
- Property Law
- Commercial and Related Consumer Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Harvard Law School 1998 (cum laude)
- B.A., University of Chicago 1995 (History, General and Departmental Honors)
- Heather Hughes, Contracting to Oblivion—Property to the Rescue in Financial Markets, 7 J. Bus. Entrep. & L. (forthcoming 2013). SSRN Link
- Heather Hughes, Derivatives Traders Do What, Again?, 30 J.L. & Com. (2012) (reviewing Annelise Riles, Collateral Knowledge: Legal Reasoning in the Global Financial Markets). SSRN Link
- Heather Hughes, Securitization and Suburbia, 90 Or. L. Rev. 359 (2011). SSRN Link
- Heather Hughes, Enabling Investment in Environmental Sustainability, 85 Ind. L.J. 597 (2010). (Winner of Emalee C. Godsey Scholar Award and reprinted (abridged) in 41 The Environmental Law Reporter 10745).
- Heather Hughes, Aesthetics of Commercial Law – Domestic and International Implications, 67 La. L. Rev. 689 (2007).
- Heather Hughes, Counterintuitive Thoughts on Legal Scholarship and Secured Transactions, 55 Buff. L. Rev. 863 (Dec. 2007). SSRN Link
- Heather Hughes, Creditors’ Imagined Communities and the Unfettered Expansion of Secured Lending, 83 Denv. U. L. Rev. 425 (2005).
- Heather Hughes, Contradictions, Open Secrets, and Feminist Faith in Enlightenment, 13 Hastings Women's L.J. 187 (2002).
Selected Works in Progress
- Heather Hughes & Benjamin Leff, The Income-Based Rate Swap: A Critique of Legal Education Financing Models and a Possible Alternative, (forthcoming). SSRN Link
- Heather Hughes, Non-Party Interests in Third-Party Opinion Letters, (forthcoming).
- Heather Hughes, The Equator Principles Implementation Deal Kit, (forthcoming).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Transactional Lawyers and Governance: Third-party Opinion Letters (American University Business Law Review Symposium, Transactional Lawyering, D.C., Apr. 5, 2013).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Contracting to Oblivion: Property Concepts in Financial Regulation (WCL Business Law Faculty Workshop, D.C., Oct. 10, 2012).
- Heather Hughes, Panelist, Securitization and Suburbia (Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Haw., June 2012).
- Heather Hughes, Presentation, Green Business and the Private Law (Managing Green Business: Defining, Regulating, and Supporting Environmentally Responsible Businesses, William & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol. Rev. Annual Symposium, Williamsburg, Va., Jan. 2012).
- Heather Hughes, Presentation, Private Environmental Law (The Center for Law, Economics, and Finance at George Washington University Law School, Junior Faculty Business and Financial Law Workshop, D.C., Apr. 2, 2011).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Enabling Investment in Environmental Sustainability (Vanderbilt University Law School and Environmental Law and Policy Institute Annual Review panel, Nashville, Tenn., Mar. 30, 2011).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Environmental Law Distinguished Speaker Series (Private Environmental Law, Widener Law School, Mar. 23, 2011).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Paying for Suburban Sprawl (WCL Faculty Speaker Series, American University Washington College of Law, D.C., Sept. 24, 2010).
- Heather Hughes, Panelist, Managing the American Dream: Land Use and the Politics of Growth after the Mortgage Crisis (Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Chi., May 2010).
- Heather Hughes, Moderator, Bottom-Up Strategies for Survival and Resistance: Examples from Latin America and Elsewhere (104th Annual Meeting Am.Socy. Intl. L., Mar. 26, 2010).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, UCC Article 9 and Debtors’ Environmental Impact: Mezzanine Lending and Suburbanization (William & Mary Law School, Williamsburg, Va., Dec. 3, 2009).
- Heather Hughes, Moderator & Panelist, Remittance Issues: Securitization, Poverty Reduction, and the Latin American Dream (LatCrit Fourteenth Annual Conference, Am. U. Wash. C. L., Oct. 2, 2009).
- Heather Hughes, Presentation, Structured Finance, Social Structure: The Case of Worker Remittance Securitization (New Scholars Workshop, Southeastern Association of Law Schools Annual Conference, July 28, 2008).
- Heather Hughes, Panelist, The Nuts and Bolts of Including Corporate Social Responsibility Norms in Financial Contracts (International Law-Making and Non-State Actors, International Law Weekend, N.Y., Oct. 27, 2007).
- Heather Hughes, Panelist, Critical Perspectives on Commercial Law (LatCrit X, San Juan, P.R., Oct. 8, 2005).
- Heather Hughes, Speaker, Basic Contract Law for Small Businesses (Ebenezer Baptist Church, Miami, Fla., June 2005).
- Heather Hughes, Instructor, CLE Seminar on Revised U.C.C. Article 9 (Senn Visciano Kirschenbaum P.C., Denver, Colo., Apr. 24, 2003).