Associate Director, Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property Professorial Lecturer in Residence
Office: 4910 Building - Suite 121
Sean Flynn teaches courses on the intersection of intellectual property, trade law, and human rights and is the Associate Director of the Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property (PIJIP). At PIJIP, Professor Flynn designs and manages a wide variety of research and advocacy projects that promote public interests in intellectual property and information law and coordinates PIJIP’s academic program, including events, student advising and curriculum development. Professor Flynn’s research examines legal frameworks promoting access to essential goods and services. He serves as counsel for advocacy organizations and state legislatures seeking to promote and defend regulations that promote access to essential medicines. (PIJIP).
Prior to joining WCL, Professor Flynn completed clerkships with Chief Justice Arthur Chaskalson on the South African Constitutional Court and Judge Raymond Fisher on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He also represented consumers and local governments as a senior associate with Spiegel & McDiarmid and as senior attorney for the Consumer Project on Technology, served on the policy team advising then Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Deval Patrick, and taught Constitutional Law at the University of Witwaterstrand, South Africa.
- LAW-795IN-001B Intro to Intl IP Practicum
- Intellectual Property and Human Rights
Areas of Specialization
- International Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Harvard Law School 1999 (magna cum laude)
- B.A., Pitzer College (Claremont) 1992 (Political Science, honors)
- Sean Flynn, Using Competition Law to Promote Access to Knowledge, in Access to Knowledge in the Age of Intellectual Property (A. Kapczynski ed., 2010). SSRN Link
- Sean Flynn, Adrian Hollis & Mike Palmedo, An Economic Justification for Open Access to Essential Medicine Patents in Developing Countries, 37 J.L. Med. & Ethics 184 (2009).
- Sean Flynn, Abbott's Refusal to Register Medicines as a Contravention of Section 28 of the Thailand Competition Act, in Right to Life, 75 (Kannikar Kijtiwatchakul ed., Medecins Sans Frontieres 2007).
- Am. U. Program on Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. & Ctr. for Soc. Media, Copyright & Documentary Film in the Commonwealth: Legal Scholar Reports from Six Countries (Sean Flynn ed., 2009).
- Sean Flynn, The Constitutionality of State Regulation of Prescription Data Mining, 5 BNA Pharm. L. & Indus. Rep. 1146 (2007).
- Sean Flynn & Mike Palmedo, Analysis of the KORUS FTA Pharmaceuticals and IP Chapters, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (May 25, 2007).
- Sean Flynn & Mike Palmedo, The Second Wave of Developing Country Activism on AIDS Drug Pricing, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (May 08, 2007).
- Sean Flynn & Mike Palmedo, The Price of Kaletra in Thailand, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (Apr. 30, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Thailand's Lawful Compulsory Licensing and Abbott's Anticompetitive Response, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (Apr. 26, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Robert Weissman, Brook Baker, & Judit Rius Sanjuan, Article Misleads in Support of Big Pharma, Op-ed, Bangkok Post (Apr. 26, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, How KORUS FTA Will Raise Drug Prices, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (Apr. 18, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Annex 2C-plus" Provisions in the Korea-US FTA Pharmaceuticals Chapter, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (Apr. 17, 2007).
- Sean Flynn & Sharon Treat, A Drug Deal Gone Bad, TomPaine.com (Mar. 30, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Considering Competition Complaints Against Abbott in Thailand - A Brief Explanation of Potential Legal Arguments, Program on Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. (Mar. 23, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Access to Medicines Issues in the US-Korea Free Trade Negotiations, Program On Info. Just. & Intell. Prop. Br. (Feb. 11, 2007).
- Sean Flynn & Tim Lay, Who’s Afraid of Competition? The Latest Assaults on Municipal Provision of Broadband Services and the Competitive Ideals of the Communications Act, 13 J. Mun. Telecomm. Policy 6 (2006).
- Sean Flynn, Democratizing the Regulation and Governance of Water in the U.S.,, in Reclaiming Public Water: Achievements, Struggles, and Visions from Around the World (Belén Balanyá, Brid Brennan, Olivier Hoedeman, Satoko Kishimoto & Philipp Terhorst, eds., 2d ed., Transntl. Inst. & Corp. Eur. Observaotry 2005).
- Sean Flynn & Tim Lay, Brand X and the New Agency Kings, 46 Mun. Law. 6 (2005).
- Sean Flynn, Robert Jablon & Mark Hegedus, Dispelling Myths: A Real World Perspective on Trinko, 50 Antitrust Bull. 589 (2005).
- Sean Flynn, Constitutional Issues and the Right to Water, in The Age of Commodity: Water Privatization in Southern Africa (David A. McDonald & Greg Ruiters, eds., Earthscan Publications 2004).
- Sean Flynn, Legal Strategies for Expanding Access to Medicines, 17 Emory Intl. L. Rev. 535 (2003).
Selected Works in Progress
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, The Right to Benefit from Scientific Discoveries: The Case of Access to Medicines in South Africa (Am. Acad. Adv. Sci., D.C., Sep. 10, 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Hale, Foucault, and the Possibilities for Post-Realist Essential Services Litigation Strategies (U. Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, S. Afr., July 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Panelist, Fair Use, Fair Dealing, and Documentary Film in the U.S., Canada, and South Africa (U. Ottawa, Feb. 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Economic Justifications for Limiting Patent Rights in Developing Countries (Brown Intl. Adv. Research Inst., Brown U., R.I., June 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Intellectual Property and Human Rights (Intell. Prop. Workshop for Korean Visiting Scholars, Am. U. Wash. C. L., Jan. 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, An Economic Critique of the Barton/Pfizer Price Discrimination Proposal (Achieving Access + Innovation in Global Pharm. Mkt., Am. U. Wash. C. L., Feb. 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Prescription Data Mining Regulation and the First Amendment (Am. U., Oct. 16, 2009).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Special 301's Threat to Access to Knowledge (Open Socy. Inst., London, Oct. 2008).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, The TRIPS Agreement and Prizes (Geo. Wash. U., Feb. 2008).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Prescription Data Privacy and the First Amendment (Righting the Script: Improving Prescription Drug Policy in an Era of Health Reform, Carnegie Ctr. , D.C., Dec. 2008).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Legal Challenges to State Pharmaceutical Regulations (Natl. Legis. Assn. Prescription Drug Prices, Portland, Me., Oct. 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Promoting Access to Second Line Treatments in the Second Decade After TRIPS (3rd Annual South Africa AIDS Conference, Durban, S. Afr., June 6, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Reflections on Constitutional Litigation Against Prepaid Watrer Meters (Centre for Civil Society, Durban, S. Afr., June 5, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, State Responses to Constitutional Litigation Challenging Prescription Drug Policies (National State Attorneys General Program at Columbia Law School, N.Y.C., N.Y., May 10, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Comparison of Medicines Provisions of Australia and Korea Free Trade Agreements (American University Washington College of Law, Wash., D.C., Apr. 18, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Constitutional Issues in State Drug Policy (Winter Meeting of the National Legislative Association on Prescription Drug Prices, Manchester, N.H., Mar. 16, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Access to Medicines Issues in the Korea Free Trade Agreement Negotiations (Congressional Briefing on the Korea Free Trade Agreement Sponsored by the Korea Policy Institute, U.S. House of Representatives, Wash., D.C., Feb. 13, 2007).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Competition Grounds for Compulsory Licenses for Needed Medicines (UNCTAD Meeting on "Intellectual Property Arrangements: Implications for Developing Country Productive Capabilities in the Supply of Essential Medicines, Geneva, Switz., Oct. 18, 2006).
- Sean Flynn, Presentation, Citizen Participation in Utility Oversight (World Conference on Regulation, Wash., D.C., Oct. 8, 2006).
Selected Media Appearances
- New Hampshire Ban on Sale of Prescribing Data is Overruled (AMNews May 28, 2007) (Quoted in Article).
- Thailand and Brazil Compulsory Licenses for Needed Medicines (Slate.com May 11, 2007) (Interview).
- Abbot's Withdrawal of Drugs From Thailand in Response to Compulsory License Issued by Thai Government (Reuters May 2, 2007) (Interview).
- Biogenerics and Drug Pricing: A Battle Royal (Pharmacy Times Dec. 15, 2006) (Quoted in Article).