Associate Director of Legal Rhetoric
Legal Rhetoric Instructor
Office: Room 129B
Professor Figley is the Associate Director of the Legal Rhetoric Program. Prior to coming to WCL in 2006, Professor Figley was a U.S. Department of Justice litigator for three decades. During his last fifteen years he served as Deputy Director in the Torts Branch of the Civil Division. At Justice, Professor Figley represented the United States and its agencies in appellate and district court litigation involving torts, national security, and information law. His expertise is in motions practice. His success in that practice is reflected in his seventy-nine reported decisions. Professor Figley is a graduate of Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he was Leading Articles Editor for the Journal of Air Law & Commerce, and Franklin & Marshall College. Since joining the WCL faculty, Professor Figley has given writing workshops to government agencies and national organizations and written for national legal writing publications. He has also published articles in scholarly journals and a book, A Guide to the Federal Tort Claims Act (ABA, 2012). He was named Washington College of Law Professor of the Year for academic year 2012-13.
- LAW-517-003 Lgl Rhtrc: Wrtng & Rsrch II
- LAW-517-004 Lgl Rhtrc: Wrtng & Rsrch II
- LAW-522-002 Torts
Areas of Specialization
- Legal Writing, Reasoning and Research
- Litigation Against the Federal Government
- Torts and Compensation Systems
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law
- B.A., Franklin & Marshall College
- Paul Figley, A Guide To The Federal Torts Claim Act (ABA 2012).
- Paul Figley, Teaching Rule Synthesis with Real Cases, 61 J. Leg. Educ. 245 (2011). SSRN Link
- Paul Figley, In Defense of Feres: An Unfairly Maligned Opinion, 60 Am. U. L. Rev. 393 (2011). SSRN Link
- Paul Figley, Ethical Intersections & the Federal Tort Claims Act: An Approach for Government Attorneys, 8 St. Thomas U. L.J. 347 (2011). SSRN Link
- Paul Figley & Jay Tidmarsh, The Appropriations Power and Sovereign Immunity, 107 Mich. L. Rev. 1207 (2009). SSRN Link
- Paul Figley, Understanding the Federal Tort Claims Act: A Different Metaphor, 44 Tort Tr. & Ins. Prac. L.J. 1105 (2009). SSRN Link
- Paul Figley, Teaching Novice Legal Writers to Complete Their Arguments; A Useful Metaphor, The Second Draft: Bulletin of the Legal Writing Institute (Fall 2007).