Adjunct Professor of Law
Kevin J. Fandl is a federal attorney and the Director of the Executive Secretariat for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He previously worked as an attorney for the U.S. Trade and Development Agency and for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He has been an adjunct law professor at the American University Washington College of Law since 2004, teaching courses on international trade and development law, intellectual property and international trade law, and advanced legal writing. He is also the lead substantive law professor in the Summer Legal English program, offered twice each year to foreign law practitioners and students.
Areas of Specialization
- Administrative Law
- Community Development Law
- Comparative Law
- International Organizations
- Space Law
Degrees & Universities
- Ph.D., George Mason University 2008
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law 2003
- M.A., American University School of International Service 2000
- B.A., Lock Haven University 1998
- Kevin Fandl, The Role of Informal Legal Institutions in Economic Development, 32 Fordham Intl. L.J. 1 (2008). SSRN Link
- Kevin Fandl, Imigration Posses: U.S. Immigration Law and Local Enforcement Practices, 34 J. Legis. 18 (2008). SSRN Link
- Kevin Fandl, Making Trade Liberalization Work For the Poor: Trade Law and the Informal Economy in Colombia, 43 Tex. Intl. L.J. 161 (Spring 2008).
- Kevin Fandl, U.S. Trade Policy and Bilateral Trade Agreements, Va. B. J. 36 (Dec. 2007).
- Kevin Fandl, Book Review: Global Politics of Regionalism: Theory and Practice, 22 Intl. Sociological Rev. of Books 5 (Sept. 2007).
- Kevin Fandl, Bilateral Agreements and Fair Trade Practices: A Policy Analysis of the U.S.-Columbia Free Trade Agreement, 10 Yale Hum. Rights & Dev. L.J. 64 (Spring 2007).
- Kevin Fandl, U.S. Trade Policy and Bilateral Trade Agreements, Va. B.J. (2007).
- Kevin Fandl, Recalibrating the War on Terror by Enhancing Development Practices in the Middle East, Duke J. Comp. & Intl. L. 299 (Summer 2006).
- Kevin Fandl, Promoting International Business Development While Protecting Domestic Markets: An Analysis of the New Shipper Review Policy of the United States, 36 Geo. J. Intl. L. 605 (Winter 2005).
- Kevin Fandl, Dead Capital and the Sea: Post-Tsunami Relief for the Southeast Asian Informal Economy, 1 Yale J. Intl. Affairs 79 (Spring 2005).
- Kevin Fandl, Trade, Development and Terrorism: Winning the War on Terror Without The War, 19 Am. U. Intl. L. Rev. 587 (Mar. 2004).