Associate Director, Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project
Office: Room 515H
Melinda Cooperman is adjunct professor law and associate director of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project. She directs the national and international expansion of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project and oversees the program’s efforts in DC public high schools. Professor Cooperman teaches an advanced constitutional law seminar to the Marshall-Brennan Fellows.
Professor Cooperman has ten years of civic education experience and looks forward to growing the presence of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project in law schools throughout the country. She passionately believes that in order to have an empowered, connected citizenry equipped to be active, questioning, democratic participants, we need to teach the 21st century skill sets of creativity, problem solving, collaboration, resilience, and critical thinking to all students. Most recently, Professor Cooperman taught at the Street Law Clinic at Georgetown University Law Center where she supervised law students who taught year-long courses in practical law to high school students throughout DC.
A magna cum laude graduate of The George Washington University, Professor Cooperman earned her JD from the City University of New York (CUNY) School of Law, where she was a Haywood Burns Fellow in Civil and Human Rights, and earning her LL.M from Georgetown University Law Center. She directed a youth and family education program at a transitional homeless shelter in San Francisco through the San Francisco Urban Service Project and also served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in rural El Salvador where she worked to increase citizen participation in government through civic education and outreach programs.
Degrees & Universities
- B.A, The George Washington University (magna cum laude)
- J.D., City University of New York School of Law
- Melinda Cooperman, Panel Presentation, Growing Clinics Across the Globe (International Journal of Clinical Legal Education Conference, Olomouc, Czech Rep., 2014).
- Melinda Cooperman, Presentation, Human Rights Clinic Training Faculty (Centre for Comparative and Public Law, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, P.R. C., 2014).
- Melinda Cooperman, Presentation, U.S. Conference on Adult Literacy (D.C., 2013).