A lawyer and project manager with more than 16 years of management, legal, and regulatory reform experience in a diverse range of countries, specializing in government transparency and accountability issues, judicial reform, the rule of law and transitional justice. Currently manages the worldwide Rule of Law IQC and the MCC Threshold Program in Albania to combat corruption in government business services. Excels at designing practical solutions to international development problems. Extensive experience in post-conflict and transitional environments, most notably as past director of Central and East European Programs at the American Bar Association (ABA). Played an instrumental role in the ABA’s establishment of a judicial and legal professional training institute in Prague (the CEELI Institute). Finalized and implemented the Judicial Reform Index. Advised on constitutional reform in Democratic Republic of Congo, Albania, and Iraq.
Degrees & Universities
- LL.M., Georgetown University 1994
- J.D., University of Georgia 1989
- B.A., University of Alabama, Birmingham 1985
- Scott Carlson & Gregory Gisvold, The Practical Guide to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (Transnatl. Publishers Fall 2003).
- Scott Carlson, Primer for Justice Components in Multidimensional Peace Operations: Strengthening the Rule of Law, UN (Dec. 2007).
- Scott Carlson, Legal and Judicial Rule of Law Work in Multi-Dimensional Peacekeeping Operations: Lessons-Learned Study, UN (Mar. 2006).
- Scott Carlson, A Targeted Analysis of the Implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights in the Republic of Macedonia, ABA (Spring 2005).
- Scott Carlson, Albania Chapter, in Nations in Transit (Freedom House 2000 - 2002).
- Scott Carlson, The Post-Conflict Transitional Administration of Kosovo and the Lessons-Learned in Efforts to Establish a Judiciary and Rule of Law, 22 Mich. J. Intl. L. 371 (Fall 2001).
- Scott Carlson, Political Killings in Kosovo/Kosova, ABA (Fall 2000).
- Scott Carlson, Politics, Public Participation, and the 1998 Albanian Constitution,, Osteuropa Recht (Winter 1999).
- Scott Carlson, Foreign Investment Laws and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: Albania’s Experiment, 29 Intl. L. , 577 (Fall 1995).
- Scott Carlson, The Montreal Protocol, Subsidies, and the GATT: A Needed Reconciliation, 19 Tex. Intl. L.J. 211 (Spring 1994).
- Scott Carlson, One Class Graduates: Final Regulations Define One Class of Stock Requirement, J. S. Corp. Taxn. 241 (1993).
- Scott Carlson, International Cooperation in Criminal Matters: Western Europe’s International Approach to International Crime, 15 Nova L. Rev. 551 (1991).