Donna Bain Butler
Adjunct Professor, International Legal Studies Program
Donna Bain Butler, Ph.D. is a Fulbright Specialist in Applied Linguistics. She has been with WCL for 13 years, designing and teaching learner-centered courses for international students, visiting legal scholars, and working professionals. High performance language production (speaking and writing) across academic cultures characterizes her work with LL.M. and SJD students in second language (L2) legal English. Donna can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of Specialization
- Academic Support
- International Legal Exchange
- Legal Writing, Reasoning and Research
Degrees & Universities
- Ph.D., University of Maryland College Park
- M.A. TESOL, American University
- B.A., Nathaniel Hawthorne College
- Donna Bain Butler, Michael Wei, & Yalun Zhou, Cultural Influence in Academic English Writing: An International Perspective, The Newsltr. of the Intercultural Commun. Interest Sec., TESOL Intl. Assn. (Feb. 25, 2013).
- Donna Bain Butler, The Use of Language and Literacy Strategies in L2 Academic Legal Writing Context, 30 Languages & Linguistics 113 (2013).
- Donna Bain Butler, Essential Legal Skills: Legal Writing from an Academic Perspective, 1 J. of the Russian Acad. of Leg. Services (2012).
- Donna Bain Butler, Integrating Content and Language Learning (The MELT Proceedings, École de langues, U. of Quebec at Montreal 2012).
- Donna Bain Butler, From the Desk of the Legal Writing Specialist: Use Metacognitive Strategies to Promote Learning and Advance Writing Proficiency, 25 The Second Draft 18 (Spring 2011).
- Donna Bain Butler & Yulan Zhou, Teaching and Learning to Near-Native Levels of Language Proficiency IV: Proceedings of the Fall 2006 & 2007 Conference of the Coalition of Distinguished Language Centers (Baint Butlr & Zhou, eds., MSI Press 2008).
Selected Works in Progress
- Donna Bain Butler, The Other Side of Plagiarism: Using Research to Develop EFL/ESL Scholarly Writers, Studies in Second and Foreign Language Education (forthcoming 2014).