Donna Bain Butler
Adjunct Professor, International Legal Studies Program
Donna Bain Butler, Ph.D., is Fulbright Specialist in Applied Linguistics and EFL. Her LL.M. teaching is research-based and tailored to the needs of international students, building professional proficiency in speaking and in writing. Her approach extends from oral proficiency testing experience with the U.S. Department of Justice, FBI Language Services Unit (1998-2004), and from mixed-methods research on teaching and learning scholarly legal writing in second language (L2) English. She has published part of this research for the U.S. legal writing community and has published articles pertaining to global legal and language education. Donna can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of Specialization
- Academic Support
- International Legal Exchange
- Legal Writing, Reasoning and Research
Degrees & Universities
- Ph.D., University of Maryland College Park
- M.A. TESOL, American University
- B.A., Nathaniel Hawthorne College
- Donna Bain Butler, Michael Wei, & Yalun Zhou, Cultural Influence in Academic English Writing: An International Perspective, The Newsltr. of the Intercultural Commun. Interest Sec., TESOL Intl. Assn. (Feb. 25, 2013).
- Donna Bain Butler, The Use of Language and Literacy Strategies in L2 Academic Legal Writing Context, 30 Languages and Linguistics 113 (2013).
- Donna Bain Butler, Essential Legal Skills: Legal Writing from an Academic Perspective, 1 J. of the Russian Acad. of Leg. Services (2012).
- Donna Bain Butler, Integrating Content and Language Learning, The MELT Proceedings (2012).
- Donna Bain Butler, From the Desk of the Legal Writing Specialist: Use Metacognitive Strategies to Promote Learning and Advance Writing Proficiency, 25 The Second Draft 18 (Spring 2011).
- Donna Bain Butler, How L2 Legal Writers Use Strategies for Scholarly Writing: A Mixed Methods Study, Proquest Pub. (Nov. 13, 2010).
- Donna Bain Butler & Yulan Zhou, Teaching and Learning to Near-Native Levels of Language Proficiency IV: Proceedings of the Fall 2006 & 2007 Conference of the Coalition of Distinguished Language Centers (Baint Butlr & Zhou, eds., MSI Press 2008).
- Donna Bain Butler, Legal English without Plagiarizing: Language that Works, 16(1) Int. Leg. Studies Program (ILSP) Global Network 13 (2006).
- Donna Bain Butler & Inna Dubinsky, Teaching and Learning to Near-Native Levels of Language Proficiency III: Proceedings of the Fall 2005 Conference of the Coalition of Distinguished Language Centers (Donna Bain Butler & Inna Dubinsky, eds., MSI Press 2006).
Selected Works in Progress
- Donna Bain Butler, Critical Literacy for International Legal Studies, Academic Exch. Q. (Summer 2012).
- Donna Bain Butler, The Other Side of Plagiarism: Using Research to Develop EFL/ESL Scholarly Writers, Studies in Second and Foreign Language Education (forthcoming 2014).