Office: Room 515C
Maryam Ahranjani is an adjunct professor of law and associate director of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project. She directs the national and international expansion of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project and oversees the program’s efforts in DC public high schools. Professor Ahranjani teaches an advanced constitutional law seminar entitled, “Education and the Constitution” to upper-level law students; and designed and teaches an externship seminar entitled, "Reflections on Meaningful Lawyering." Most recently, Professor Ahranjani worked for Kaplan, Inc., serving as a regional director and product manager. She formerly served as associate director of WCL's Program on Law and Government, where she ran the SJD and LLM programs. Co-author of the textbook Youth Justice in America (CQ Press, 2005), Professor Ahranjani has appeared on C-SPAN and has authored numerous articles and lesson plans about students’ rights and civic literacy. A founder of the National Youth Justice Alliance, she is also recipient of the 2008 Alumni of the Year Award from the Latino/a Law Students Association and a 2006 American University Performance Award. A magna cum laude graduate of Northwestern University, Professor Ahranjani obtained her JD degree from WCL, her LLM from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and is fluent in Spanish and Persian.
Areas of Specialization
- Constitutional Law
Degrees & Universities
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law 2001
- B.S.Ed., Northwestern University 1998 (magna cum laude)
- Maryam Ahranjani, The Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project: A Case Study in Law and Social Justice, in Childhood, Youth, and Social Work in Transformation: Implications for Policy and Practice (Columbia University Press 2009).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Andrew Ferguson & Jamie Raskin, Youth Justice in America (CQ Press 2005).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Finding Your Balance in Life: Anticipating and Slaying Stress, CLEO Edge (Winter/Spring 2007).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Immigration Trends in the D.C. Area and What They Mean for Public Education, Wash. Post (July 9, 2004).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Unearthing the Truth: The Supreme Court’s Fact-Finding Role, Wash. Post (Oct. 29, 2002).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Mary Daly v. Boston College: The Impermissibility of Single-Sex Classes in Private Universities, 9 Am. U. J. Gender Soc. Policy & L. 179 (2001).
Selected Honors & Awards
- 2008 Alumni of the Year Award (Latino/a Law Students Association, American University Washington College of Law 2008).
Selected Teaching Materials
- Maryam Ahranjani National Constitution Day Teaching Modules, http://www.band-of-rights.org/ (2009).
- Maryam Ahranjani, Youth Justice in America Teaching Manual and Student Workbook ( Updated annually since 2005).
- Maryam Ahranjani, "We The Students" Teaching Manual ( Updated Annually, 2001-2005).
- Maryam Ahranjani, “We The Students” Student Workbook ( Update Annually, 2003-2005).
- Maryam Ahranjani, “We The Students” Student Workbook Key ( Updated Annually, 2003-2005).
- Maryam Ahranjani, "Marbury v. Madison Lesson Plans" for the Educational Outreach Office of the U.S. Federal Courts ( 2003).