International Legal Education Abroad Conference
April 2-3, 2012
American University Washington College of Law held the International Legal Education Abroad Conference on April 2nd and 3rd, 2012. Conference topics covered the gamut of legal education abroad programs and issues.
Come to DC during the Centennial National Cherry Blossom Festival to enjoy the nation’s capital and to explore the field of law school study abroad.
Panels and Presentations
Setting the Stage: Globalization and the Legal Profession (PPT Download)
- Laurel Terry, Harvey A. Feldman Distinguished Faculty Scholar and Professor of Law, Penn State Dickinson School of Law
Trends and Challenges in ABA-Approved Semester Abroad Programs (PPT Download)
- Lisa Lancia, Director International Strategic Initiatives and the Pace London Law Program, Pace University School of Law
- John Cooper, Associate Dean of International and Cooperative Programs, Stetson University College of Law
- Geoffrey Bennett, Director London Law Program, University of Notre Dame (USA) in England
- Marcella David, Associate Dean for International & Comparative Law, University of Iowa
Summer Study Abroad Programs: Challenges and Innovations
- Richard Schneider, Associate Dean of International Affairs and Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Keith Vetter, Professor of Law, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Vinita Bali, Managing Director, Center for Global Law & Policy and Director, Summer Programs, Santa Clara Law
Keynote Speaker (PPT Download)
- Sylvia Crowder, Branch Chief, International Education and Programs Service, U.S. Department of
- Natalie Mello, Executive Director of Member Services and Training, The Forum on Education Abroad
- Jennifer Henderson, Director of the Canadian & American Dual J.D. Program, Director of the J.D./LED Program, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- Cara Morris, Director of Transnational Programs, Georgetown University School of Law
Designing and Implementing JD/LLM Programs (PPT Download)
- Diane Penneys Edelman, Director of International Programs & Professor of Legal Writing, Villanova University School of Law
- Toni M. Fine, Assistant Dean, Fordham Law School
- Matthew Wladyka, Associate, Hunton & Williams, Washington, DC (J.D. Villanova ’11, LLM Commercial Law, University of Edinburgh ’11)
- Emily Miletello, Analyst, National Pollution Funds Center, U.S. Coast Guard, Washington, DC (J.D. Villanova ’10, LLM Public International Law, University of Leiden ’10)
- Stephanie Farrior, Professor of Law and Director of International and Comparative Law Programs, Vermont Law School
- Lesley Davis, Assistant Dean for International Programs, Indiana University Maurer School of
Discussion Panel: What do practitioners look for when hiring law graduates who have studied abroad? (PPT Download)
- Charles Borden, partner, Allen & Overy LLP
- Clifford Young, Managing Director, Public Sector Practice, Ipsos Public Affairs (presenting research on employer perceptions of an international degree)
- Wade Channell, Senior Legal Reform Advisor, Office of Economic Growth, USAID
Information about area hotels can be found on the Washington College of Law website. We encourage you to book hotels early to take advantage of the 2012 Centennial National Cherry Blossom Festival, which runs from March 20 - April 27, 2012.
Information About Previous Conferences
The Washington College of Law held its first International Dual JD Degree Conference last year. Information about this program can be found on the Washington College of Law Special Events Website. Two sessions from last year's conference have been webcast and are available
Viewing these webcasts requires Windows Media Player. You may need to disable pop-up blocking to launch the presentation.
For any additional information about the conference, please contact Theresa Kaiser, Director, Study Abroad and International Exchange at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you in April!